Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Slider Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Slider Question

General question, doing 100+ pork sliders using Hawaiian Slider buns. These will have pulled pork topped with coleslaw and pickled jalapeños. How many oz’s of pork should I plan per slider…would 2-3 oz be enough?

On sliders? Dunno ounce wise, but I would guess 1/2 ice cream scoop per slider, 1 full scoop on ones without toppings

Comment

2 oz.

I happen to have a slider bun, some pulled pork from this weekend and an analytical scale. So I checked. It was 1.4 oz pork, but the pork was cold and rigid. So with it sauced and a nice helping on a slider bun, not a regular hamburger bun, 2 oz would be perfect.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s awesome…lol. Thanks, I made a practice run last weekend but just eyeballed it and never really measured the amount….rookie mistake.

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Geez, don’t ya just love science. 🕶

Do a test run?

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        But was the question cooked weight or raw weight?

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack interested in cooked weight

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Then 2 oz sounds like a good call.

4 reg bun 2 for slider

Comment

To answer your question, YES 2-3 oz of pulled pork.
        Are you intending to weigh out each portion?
        Now the planning, how many or total weight of pork butts or butts will it take?

Question: How Much Cooking Weight Is Lost In Smoked Pork Butt

The Boston Butt will lose about 35-40 percent of its original raw weight when cooked. That’s due to the large amounts of fat and the bone. An 8lb. Butt will yield about 5lbs. How much weight does pork shoulder lose when smoked?
        https://www.montalvospirits.com/how-much-cooking...

Assuming 100+=120 servings, 120x2oz=240oz. 240oz/16=15lbs cooked. 15lbs is 40% of 37.5lbs
        By my SWAG, 40lbs of uncooked pork butts, at 8lbs per butt, or 5 butts.

This was fun. Reminds me of my school days. I am not sure why but I just had to figure it out.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
          Dadof3Illinois commented
          Editing a comment
          bbqLuv I love the way you're thinking but you might be a tad on the heavy side....HA. I'm planning on 28-30lbs of pre cooked bone in butts.
          I don't want a ton of leftovers....I know that sounds terrible but I would rather cook more later.
          These are going to be judged in an appetizer competition this Saturday.

I scoff at your math. The correct answer is seven. SEVEN ounces. At least in mine...

Comment

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          Seven is 1 less than 8. Butt my sliders are ate.
          Does that mean 1+8 = 0?
          Last edited by bbqLuv; April 6, 2022, 08:17 AM.

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          I love scoffin at math. Yeah baby.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here