Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Braised pulled pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Braised pulled pork

Hello Pitmasters!

I've just baught a nice boston butt and I'm having friends over tomorrow, unfortunately the weather here in Quebec is a little cold for the bbq right now, do you have any advice for a good pulled pork in the oven? Preferably with a non tomato based sauce, though it's ok if there is a little in it.

I have experience with ribs in the oven, but ever since I've started reading this damned website, they just dont cut it anymore!

Thanks in advance,

Patrick

Hello from Calgary!

I know all about cold weather Qing, it eats charcoal like mad when it is -30 and blowing snow.

If you can't smoke it, I would highly recommend cutting the butt into thinner strips and using either Meathead's Char Siu or Nine Dragon marinades:

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porkn..._siu_ribs.html http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porkn...agon_ribs.html.

Roast the strips at 225 till they hit your target IT then give 'em a quick blast with the broiler to crisp them up. These are both fantastic recipes for coping with the brutal Canadian winter.

Comment

• bbqoaf
      bbqoaf commented
      Editing a comment
      Absolutely works very well with beer! Steamwhistle pairs brilliantly, as does Big Rock SAAZ as both of those are Czech style pilsners. Kung Fu girl reisling also pairs perfectly and keeps with the Asian theme.

I don't know about the stout and IPA pairing perfectly, but if you drink enough pilsner first, everything will taste great!

The other option is the Tuscan marinade, however I have not yet gotten around to trying this one yet: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porkn...ated_ribs.html

• Superskierpat
      Superskierpat commented
      Editing a comment
      I think I'll try the tuscan one! I have all the ingredients and I've never had tuscan style pig before.

• bbqoaf
      bbqoaf commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool, let us know how it turns out!

I have done oven pulled pork using a dutch oven. Apply rub like you would, heat oven to 200 degrees.
    Place butt in a dutch oven and "bake" overnight.

Should be plenty humid in the dutch oven, no need to add liquid.

Comment

• Superskierpat
      Superskierpat commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know, though this time I'll go for something a little different I believe!

So it took some time for me to get them off my phone but I have pictures!

Click image for larger version

Name:	braised-pulled-pork-1.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	122240 Click image for larger version

Name:	braised-pulled-pork-2.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	122239
    Attached Files

Comment

looks good! Just missing Mrs. Brown, but i understand she's not always in town when you need her.

Comment

• Superskierpat
        Superskierpat commented
        Editing a comment
        I put the braising liquid in a bowl and we simply drizzled it over the meat afterwards!

• CurlingDog
        CurlingDog commented
        Editing a comment
        YUM!! properly done!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here