Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Shoulder on the WSM, both racks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brokegunner
    replied
    I just smoked my first 2 butts on my 22" last weekend, both were 10lbs each. I ended up pulling the top one off at 197º (15 hours at 250) and the lower one was at 185º so I moved it to the top and left it while serving the first one. When the meat tray was empty I went back and pulled the second one out, it was at 202º and both were fantastic. Next time I am only doing 2, I would probably put both on the top tray, it has plenty of room.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    commented on 's reply
    I take as much off as I can. Hopefully there is none.

• barney
    replied
    Fat cap up or bottom when smoking ?

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    porkmaster Sorry I didn't answer your other question- yes I always use water. I don't run a wsm, but I'll either use my kettle with Slow 'N Sear or my Yoder offset, and with that I'll put a loaf pan of water under the grate.

• porkmaster
    commented on 's reply
    Huskee Understood. Thanks again!

• porkmaster
    commented on 's reply
    _John_ gotcha, thanks!

• _John_
    commented on 's reply
    I don't, I set it out for about 5 minutes to finish cooking, wrap it in foil, then a towel and put it in a cooler until i'm ready to pull it. I aim for at least an hour.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Two different, those are when I did unwrapped the whole way. I much prefer to wrap after the stall now.

• porkmaster
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you Danjohnston949! I sure am. I'm panicking with a digital thermometer, and you did 6 without one. I can't say I could do the same, at least, not yet.

• porkmaster
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks gwschenk! I'm hoping to get there soon with enough practice.

• porkmaster
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you Spinaker!

• porkmaster
    commented on 's reply
    That's great advice _John_, thanks. That all makes good sense.

I have two questions though, if you wouldn't mind me asking.
    1. When you reach your "ideal" internal temp, how much longer do you keep it inside?
    2. If you do keep it inside, at what temp. range do you keep your smoker?

• porkmaster
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the advice Huskee. When you referred to the unwrapped butts that you've done at the beginning and then wrapping them after, are you still referring to the same unwrapped butts even though you wrapped them after the stall? Or are those just two different scenarios.

Also, do you utilize the water pan? I understand that's more of a personal preference.

Thanks again!

• porkmaster
    commented on 's reply
    Jon Solberg Thanks for the advice, and thank you for the welcome! It's great to know that 30 minutes is roughly a good time until I at least learn things better. At least I'm at that "stage" now.

The picture that you posted looks great. 3 hours per pound sounds like something I may try or refer to as a baseline standard @ 225deg F when unwrapped. I'm leaning towards wrapping them though.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    gwschenk Nope 'twas a summer day. It may have been a 5lb butt, not entirely sure, but it was somewhere in that neighborhood.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here