Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Country ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Country ribs

How do I find Pork County Ribs

Welcome Roy!!!

What is your definition of a country rib?

Is it sliced pork butt?

Comment

• Roysatter
      Roysatter commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello no from the Loin

Welcome to the Pit. Here is a good video by Malcolm Reed discussing country ribs. Around here we have both styles at our grocery stores.

Comment

Depends on the where you live, the butchers you use and how they are trained to cut meat.
      Many cuts of meat, beef in particular, I see on this board regularly are not available around here as they are ground into hamburger.
      Around here what you ask for would be a pork loin roast with the ribs still attached so a, Pork Loin Country Rib Roast.

Comment

Costco usually has the boneless style cut from pork butt. My local butchers always have the bone in style.

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 on Costco for the butt ones. I just saw large packages (+/- 10 lbs) there over the weekend. Supermarket usually has the "pork loin, rib end" ones around here.

Welcome to The Pit Roy.

I think they should be available in most grocery stores in the South. If ya don't see 'em, ask at the meat counter.

Comment

The best way to find something is to look where is.
          Start in Pork County.
          Have a butcher cut up a Boston Butt into country ribs. This works for me.
          Last edited by bbqLuv; March 27, 2022, 03:07 PM.

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Or you can cut your own.

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            I would cut my own if I were allowed to have sharp objects.
            I butchered a black tail and aged it in the fridge once. Mama was not happy.

Aww man, I love country style ribs. My personal favorite grilled meat. I'll even take it over a steak. We buy a pig each year from a local rancher, and get it from that. I reverse sear it with some hickory and apply a dry rub, maybe bbq sauce for the kids. Absolutely delicious.

Comment

Pretty common cut available in most grocery stores. I've occasionally seen them under different names (but can't quite recall what those names were). Can be boneless or bone-in.

In addition to BBQ, we often use them as the pork in roast pork, sauerkraut, and dumplings, and other Czech dishes.
            Last edited by Murdy; March 31, 2022, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit. Good luck on your search. You should be able to get them at Costco.

Comment

For the longest time, I thought that’s what ribs were. When my mom made ribs, that’s what she made, and when I started cooking for myself and wanted ribs, that’s what I made. Here in NEPA country ribs are almost always the bone-in ribs, but sometimes they are the sliced butt. And sometimes they’re mixed.

I rub them and grill them, them simmer them in bbq sauce for about an hour. Delicious.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                  Dewesq55 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  When I was a younger man we used to get them mixed in Costco, both in Connecticut and in Brooklyn. More recently I never see them mixed any more.

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

I've got a batch of loin country style wibs gettin ready for tomorrow!

Comment

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    These came from a friend who raises a couple of pigs a year.

I get them at the local super market. I just did them recently and finished off the last today for lunch. If your local stores do not have, maybe a butcher can cut them for you. I used Malcom Reeds method but with my desired seasoning. I think I posted here. I'll look around. If I find it, I'll post the lnk.

Oh, welcome from Western Massachusetts.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here