Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last Meal Ribs with the Smokenator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last Meal Ribs with the Smokenator

Took a stab at the Last Meal Ribs yesterday on a my Weber Performed Platinum with the Smokenator. The results were awesome. My fiance said they were the best ribs she ever had, homemade or at any BBQ house. They were a pair of baby-backs I picked up at Costco a while back. I had to freeze them before transporting up here as Costco is 5 hours away.

thawed them the morning before, skinned, trimmed and dry brined them overnight. The next day I coated them with about 2 tablespoons of Meathead's Memphis Rub in the morning per side and let them sit until the hit the grill at around 1 p.m.

Here's a picture of them around 2 1/2 hours into the cook. Please critique my trimming skills as it was my first time trimming ribs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1560.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	11970

They switched their position after another hour when I topped up the water pan. After another 2 1/2 hours I did the bend test and they were ready. I cooked up the Kansas BBQ sauced, lathered them up, cranked my gas grill as hot as it would go and put them on for about 5 minutes. Here was the final result....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1563.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	11972

Attached Files

Beauty! Was the sauce charred? It looks dark but it's hard to tell if it's just the picture. I don't sauce mine so I don't have the eye for that.

As far as trimming, the thing you want to make sure of (for best results) is that the ribs are uniform thickness. Trimming squarely and so froth is merely an appearance thing and only matters if you were in a competition or going for photos. But the thickness is rarely uniform on baby backs from the grocery store, the butchers tend to leave lots of loin meat on one end and this can prolong your cook and make the other end drier, so it's helpful to trim them in this regard. Yours look pretty good in that department I'd say.

I think you did great, especially if got you props from the lady!

What wood did you use?

Comment

Those look great. That memphis dust is like nectar of the gods. That recipe is worth the membership on its own.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron 'Huskee' Lyons View Post
        Beauty! Was the sauce charred? It looks dark but it's hard to tell if it's just the picture. I don't sauce mine so I don't have the eye for that.
        As far as trimming, the thing you want to make sure of (for best results) is that the ribs are uniform thickness. Trimming squarely and so froth is merely an appearance thing and only matters if you were in a competition or going for photos. But the thickness is rarely uniform on baby backs from the grocery store, the butchers tend to leave lots of loin meat on one end and this can prolong your cook and make the other end drier, so it's helpful to trim them in this regard. Yours look pretty good in that department I'd say.
        I think you did great, especially if got you props from the lady!
        What wood did you use?
        Only one spot on the top rib, on the left side, I just left it on the grill a little too long. Couldn't taste the char though. Otherwise, the rest of the sauce was awesome.

I used 8 ounces of hickory. When I was in the city last I couldn't find any wood chunks and settled on a couple bags of hickory chips. I started with 4 ounces of chips, once those were done I added another 4 ounces right on the coals. I thought I might have oversmoked the ribs but they ended up with a perfect amount of smokiness.

Comment

Great! Job well done. If you're interested in trying chunks, check out www.fruitawoodchunks.com they have a nice selection with pretty good prices and their shipping is free.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron 'Huskee' Lyons View Post
            Great! Job well done. If you're interested in trying chunks, check out www.fruitawoodchunks.com they have a nice selection with pretty good prices and their shipping is free.
            You've made me a very happy man. I don't know if the fiance will be too pumped about me having wood shipped to the house. I'll just have to tell her I'll being doing all the cooking to make her happy.

Comment

Great, glad you find their site useful. I've been using them for a few years. My favorites are peach and apricot. I even picked up some whiskey barrel oak recently. I'm not sure why but I have to remind my wife too that I do half the cooking and it's better and cheaper than restaurants, so let me buy wood.

Comment

I'm impressed!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here