Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally getting the hang of it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AllenW
    replied
    Just looked, the paprika was smoked, I'll know better next time, thanks.
    Good tip on the smaller grill and needing less smoke too.

Al

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Too smoky, although subjective from person to person, can easily be fixed by using, say, half the amount of wood next time, for starters. Gotta make the Mrs happy! Sometimes in smaller cookers with very limited airflow the smoke bathes the meat longer and therefore a smaller chunk packs more of a punch. To illustrate, I get nearly identical flavors on my kettle with Slow 'N Sear and three half-fist sized chunks as I do on my stickburner using a wheelborrow full of oak, apple or ash logs.

So, in your situation, simply limit the wood next time. The MMD by itself wouldn't cause a smokier taste unless you used smoked salt or smoke paprika perhaps.

And kudos on getting your game on!

Thicker hunks, such as pork butts and brisket, can handle more smoke. With ribs, you're biting a much larger bark:meat ratio and getting more of that smoke-laden bark in each bite. With pulled pork the bark gets mixed in more, thereby diluting it. Same with brisket slices- more internal meat and less bark/crust.

As you go on you'll find your favorite ways to do each, and what a fun journey it is!

Leave a comment:

• Breadhead
    replied
    Good going Al.

I don't have a PK but I know Meathead likes his.

Smoke is like salt. Food tastes better when you use it properly. You can't remove salt or smoke. Less is better.

Your brisket cook will be easy now that you've already done a pork butt. They cook just alike.

Smoke em if you got em...👍

Leave a comment:

• AllenW
    started a topic Finally getting the hang of it

Finally getting the hang of it

Picked up the PK grill and thought we'd try the Last meal ribs, so off and picked up a rack of St Louis style ribs.

We then seasoned the grill, and lightly salted the ribs and let set for about a hour and half, while I made some of the Memphis rub.

Added the recommended amount and let sit maybe and hour while I fought with the grill and the lump charcoal I got talked into buying.

Once temps stabilized (kind of) at 225 I put the ribs on the grill and added one chunk of apple wood for smoke.

I've finally learnt to quit peeking and when I thought they were done, they weren't, so I let them go until they cracked when holding out.

Both the wife and I thought they were done just right, plenty juicy and they looked great

Wife did complain they had too much of a smokey taste, but I'm wondering with just a baseball size chunk of apple wood if it wasn't the rub we were tasting?
    Anyway, so far pulled pork and ribs are a go now, brisket is next.

Thanks to the people on this site my conversion from grill to BBQ'ing is coming along nicely, if not a bit slowly.

Al

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here