Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Butt Rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try using Stevia instead. It comes in a granulated form like sugar.

Comment

OK, I've tried them all. I am somewhat undecided. Liked least is just the base rub of pepper, garlic and paprika.

The set with Cinamon, ginger and nutmeg added to the base rub (#6) was very good....a little sweeter tasting, but the nutmeg DID come through.

I think my fave was the one with the base rub and cumin and onion (#4), followed really closely with #s 2 & 3, cumin and cumin and Cinamon added, respectively. These 3 were REALLY close.

I am going to re-try some of these and add a LIGHT sprinkle of a 2/1 mix of cocoa and espresso. I use this in my personal rub. Think it adds a nice touch. We'll see how it does in this next test.

Overall, not bad going without sugar. Certainly VERY edible! And surprisingly good bark.

gardenfish , I have read a lot about artificial sweeteners recently, and the preponderance of what I read was quite harsh. Basically, among other negatives is that the body thinks you've had sugar, secretes insulin, and winds up adding weight. Anecdotally, I will tell you that I drank 2-4 diet coke cherry drinks for a long time. Given what I've read, I gave up all artificial sweeteners. Made NO other changes and lost 15#. Everyone's experiences and preferences are different, but I'm not going recommend something I don't eat.

I'm going to try to do another rack cut into threes tomorrow (Thursday) and will post anything I come up with.

Overall happy with results so far! Good,learning!
      Last edited by richinlbrg; October 28, 2015, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• gardenfish
        gardenfish commented
        Editing a comment
        Stevia is a natural plant NOT an artificial sweetener. It has a 0 glycemic index and is ok'd for diabetics. I have been growing it in my garden at home and at work for about 5 years now. Awesome plant.

smokinsteve , have you done the cook? What rub did you use and how was it?

Comment

I appreciate all the input, but ran out of time and didn't pick one. richinlbrg did a lot of research and I'll be sure to revisit this in the future.

Comment

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd sure like to hear what you come up with. The ribs that I did with cocoa and espresso did nothing for me.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here