Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Butt Rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butt Rub

I've used MMD on butts in the past with excellent results. One of my friends wants me to fix him up with a butt or two, but he's gone on a sugar free diet. Anyone use the Rondevous Memphis Dry Rub on butts? Or maybe there is some other suggestion.

Not sure there's really a substitute for sugar in a rub. Depending on what diet your friend is on, would a honey glaze work? Fructose instead of sucrose. W/o sugar on pork the average rub is likely to just taste salty or spicy or both...unless that's ok.

Comment

Come to think of it, just go with plain ol Dalmatian rub, 50/50 coarse pepper and salt.

Comment

Agree with Huskee - but maybe add some garlic powder? I really like garlic with pork.

Jim

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Good call, garlic works on anything that had parents.

I compiled this in a post a while back, lots of rubs with various flavors.

Comment

You gotta be careful with it, but cinnamon can be your friend with pork.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
            Danjohnston949 commented
            Editing a comment
            boftx, I use cinnamon in my Rub all time as well as Paprika. Dan

WOW, is this ever timely! I was just thinking about trying to make a sugarless rub!

Got me to thinking that cumin would be good in it too.

But what would happen if we just eliminated sugar from our standard rub? Obviously less sweet, likely have to use a lot less rub on the pork (or at least on baby backs), or it might be overpowering - I always like the taste of the pork, so I use my rub a bit lightly anyway.

boftx , I have cinnamon in my basic rub, and it was used in ancient medicine, as was honey, Huskee . In fact the combo of RAW honey and cinnamon together has been getting positive comments for health benefits.
          Last edited by richinlbrg; October 26, 2015, 03:17 PM.

Comment

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            I will not do a pork butt without a rub with cumin! I'm not a big fan of the cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg thing though.

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            CandySueQ - I am shocked. I've always had heavy cumin in my pork rubs. But without any sugar, the Cinamom and nutmeg were really good to us.

Try equal parts of paprika, kosher salt, black pepper and granulated garlic.

Comment

richinlbrg The presence of sugar will help with bark. Depending on the result you are looking for you may want to have some in the rub. JMO

Comment

• richinlbrg
              richinlbrg commented
              Editing a comment
              I wonder if Huskee's suggestion of honey would promote bark. But smokinsteve would have to get clarification on that.

I'm mostly off this week, so,I think I am going to do some experimenting. I'll get some BBs tomorrow.
              Last edited by richinlbrg; October 26, 2015, 05:04 PM.

OK, I cut two racks of BBs into three sections each, of about equal size. I made a base rub of :

3Tbls each of fresh ground Telecherry pepper, garlic and paprika. I will call this the base.

Section 1 = light base rub only
            Section 2 = base with cumin added
            Section 3 = base with cumin and cinnamon added
            Section 4 = base with cumin and onion powder added
            Section 5 = base with cumin, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg added
            Section 6 = base with cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg added

They went on at 1:10 pm

Forgot the honey on one. CRAP! I'll do that Thursday (still have one more rack)

OK, the first section - just the base rub of pepper, garlic powder and paprika.. I LOVE ribs. Period. The meat was delicious! The rub....meh. BORING!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by richinlbrg; October 27, 2015, 03:52 PM.

Comment

• CandySueQ
              CandySueQ commented
              Editing a comment
              I've been using maple sugar (the dry stuff) on ribs.

• richinlbrg
              richinlbrg commented
              Editing a comment
              OHH, CandySueQ , THAT sounds good!!! REALLY GUUUD!!!

My wife and I are avoiding sugar. What a time I/we picked for this!!

Buy good quality meat, salt, pepper and Pecan wood.

Comment

• richinlbrg
              richinlbrg commented
              Editing a comment
              Now ya tell me!

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              HAHAHAHA!! Most folks got no clue how a pork butt tastes like coz it's over dressed

Light rub of pepper, garlic and paprika - posted above, but the pics did not post well. Pork was great, rub, meh - boring

Comment

Skipping around, section 6, which is the pepper, garlic and paprika base with Cinamom, nutmeg and ginger added. Might skip the ginger next time - didn't seem to add much. These were REALLY good!! Hardly noted the lack of sugar. Next time I'm going to add a light layer of a 2/1 mix of cocoa/espresso. #1 has doubts about this - she thought these were so good that they should be left alone. That good. Pics=not so good-sorry.

Comment

Section 5 - the pepper, garlic and paprika base, with Cinamom, nutmeg and cumin. Mi think the cumin worked to mask the Cinamom and nutmeg. Good, but not great.

Comment

Maybe injecting with apple or pineapple juice? I'll use an injection of apple juice with my rub on pork loins, maybe injecting a butt with apple juice/sugarless rub mixture would work in your case. (But usually I see no need to inject a butt.)

Comment

• richinlbrg
                    richinlbrg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I don't usually inject pork either, boftx . But the problem here is the sugar. I assume he wants no sugar for a reason, and apple juice has natural sugar, and perhaps added sugar.
                    Great thought, but may not work here.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here