Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon got frozen during curing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon got frozen during curing

So, I currently live in Korea. We have a Kimchi fridge, if you've never delt with it, Kimchi has a VERY strong odor that will penetrate anything, plastic wrap, eggs, milk carton... it just invades anything in the fridge, so you use a seperate fridge. Our model has two compartments, so the right side I use as my meat fridge. It has 3 settings:

1. Cold as hell (this one is good, just below freezing).

2. Freeze in 2-3 days.

3. Freeze within a few hours.

I read Korean, but everything on it is an abreviation so not very good at that. I had my wife (Korean) adjust it to the middle setting when I made stuffed pork loin a little while ago. I made it the night before cooking (stuffed, tied, etc) and the 2nd setting was perfect to make it solid but not frozen. I had her readjust it when I noticed it was too cold, I started bacon and sausage two days ago. She misunderstood "turn it back down" as make it go colder... oops. In less than 6 hours it was frozen solid.

It's at the right temp now, but should I just add another day or two to the cure to make up for the time frozen, or start over?

I think I would just start the cure over. Once frozen, not much is moving around in there including the curing salts or seasonings. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

• Valsacar
      Valsacar commented
      Editing a comment
      So, I did restart it... was planning on smoking this weekend. There's very little liquid left in it, but nothing leaked out...

I should be clear, it started with the normal amount of liquid.
      Last edited by Valsacar; November 4, 2015, 08:10 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here