Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking a Pork Loin? (and Boneless Beef Short Ribs!!!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking a Pork Loin? (and Boneless Beef Short Ribs!!!!)

Well, walking around Sams Club or any grocery store nearly always produces large chunks of meat in my shopping cart, and I end up with more than our fam can eat, so I share some with friends and #theRibList peeps.

We've been digging Pork Tenderloin a ton, and whole Pork Loins as well. So much cheaper to cut your own chops from a loin, particularly when stores put it on sale for $1.69 a pound.

So I cut chops from a whole loin for the last 2 days, and had a bunch of it left today.

Couple that with me noticing that in the midst of breaking in #WhoDat1 and such, I've burnt 30 bags of charcoal in the past month or so, and NOT ONE SPLIT on my Offset, #LilTex.

Feeling like my BBQ Manliness was getting a little lopsided, I decided to remedy that today by smoking

1. That Pork Loin, cut into 3 chunks and rubbed with (from left to right)
    a.) Garlic chunks, rosemary with s&p and some onion powder,
    b.) Simply Marvelous Cherry (my new fav for chicken) and
    c.) Memphis Dust
    2. Some Spare Ribs sawed into strips. It was 2:30 today when I was at the store, and I needed something that would be cooked about 7, and this looked super intreguiging!
    3. Get ready for it...Boneless Beef Short Ribs! They were small and marbled and beautiful! 4 pieces that weighted a pound, so they should be ready in time for dinner, or a tasty after dinner snack.

I got some splits burning down on the pit when I got home from church so I'd have a nice bed of coals later in the day.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5170.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	116663
    Here are the 3 chunks of Pork Loin. I took the silverskin off the backside with my newly resharpened knives.

Name:	IMG_5167.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	116665
    The Beef Ribs on the left, and the Port Rib Cuts on the right.

Name:	IMG_5168.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	116668 And them rubbed, Big Bad Beef Rub and Memphis Dust, respectively.

Name:	IMG_5171.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	116667 And Onto #LilTex, with Post Oak splits, temps ranging from 225 to 300. I need to get smaller splits for this little offset.

Ok, I forgot my times a bit, but I think we pulled the Pork Loin about 3 hours later? It was overdone from my target, at about 165 degree internal. My Beautiful Wife and I went for a walk and ended up talking with some neighbors for an hour, Surprise! No worries.

Name:	IMG_5172.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	116662
    The Loins look great! The Memphis Dust was the least set bark. That gorgeous sugar in it needs more time to set, I'm thinking.

Name:	IMG_5174.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	116664
    What a pretty pink ring all around this loin!

I liked the Cherry and the Garlic Rosemary ones most. Maybe because I was frustrated the MD rub came off with my fingers. But all 3 were really good.

But then...wait for it. I let the Beef and Pork Ribs smoke some more, about 4.5 hours total, I think. Internal Temp, Ok, I don't remember. 180's? But is was completely probe tender.

The Beef Ribs...Wow!

Name:	IMG_5177.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	116666
    Did I mention that Beef Ribs may be now my absolute favorite BBQ Meat?!!!

The larger one is sitting on the counter next to me while I type. I'm going to wrap it and put it in the warming drawer for a few hours and eat it with the cookies my super cute wife is making right now!

QUESTION: What's your recipe for cooking/Smoking Port Loin and Pork Tenderloin?

Isn't this fun!

P.S. Of course I grilled my wife a hamburger on the GrillMeister tonight when she said her tummy may not like the spicy chicken tacos that she made for dinner...#LightingUpGrillMeisterEveryNightThisWeek
    Attached Files

Beef short ribs are my absolute favorite to BBQ and EAT!

Comment

Those beef ribs look out of this world, nice work!

For pork loins or tenderloins, wet brine overnight, MMD, smoke to 125 IT (I like cherry or apple), brush with MH's KC Classic or Tennessee Whiskey Q Sauce, sear off all sides till 135 IT, carry over will take to 140 where pork loins and chops are at their finest. Not original at all, but there is a reason it is the classic.

Comment

Try pounding out some of the loin chops to about the thickness of a chicken fried steak and then cook and eat it like one. The procedure is basically the same as for chicken fried venison back strap.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here