Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork shoulder failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll go with the bad piece of meat, but this is a wonderful opportunity (excuse) to add a pellet burner to your cooking arsenal.

Comment

My thought is the boneless. I’ve also had one bad butt in all my years of smoking, and it was boneless.

I attributed its dryness to the fact that I trimmed too much fat. Bone-in preserves more fat around the bone, keeping it moist. I’ve done boneless a couple times since then was was very careful to not trim any of the fat where the bone would’ve been, and always had success.

Bone-in is all I buy now.

Comment

Other than underdone, I didn't know you could screw one up. That's a new one on me, always thought that was the easiest thing in the world to smoke. Yea chalk it up to the meat, forget the analysis. Go get drunk, kick your dog, throw up, pass out and it will all be forgotten in the morning

Comment

How big was the butt? If I have an 8 pound butt I halve it and cook two (or freeze one half). I’ve also gotten a tad mistrustful of the leave in thermometer probes but inaccurate placement of the probe might skew things. When it’s getting sort of close I use the thermapen and probe multiple spots to get a clearer picture of what is going on.

Comment

fzxdoc jfmorris Huskee I did this one on the grate. I have done it this way and by hanging before, no problems. I did monitor temps, after about 3.5 hours I saw the temp dropping steadily to about 220, so went out to check. The charcoal had burnt down a lot more than normal. I shoveled them together and cracked the lid. When the temp went over 300 I shut the lid. The temp dropped down around 220 again in another half hour. So, I lit a basket and added that. It was over 300 for a little while, but not for even an hour. I used Kingsford as always.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I guess then I'm in the camp of thinking it was just a very fit hog.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here