Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

question No wrap Baby Back Ribs anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never wrap in the PBC!

Comment

They come out pretty good either way, so I figure why bother? I used to wrap, but don’t anymore.

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        "Why bother?" that is what I was thinking. 3-2-1 seems to complicate things--although when used only as a guide I have produced good ribs.

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Right! Prep your ribs, prep your smoker, put ‘em on and wait until they’re done. I can see wrapping them if you have something special you want them to pick up: honey and butter? Cherries and brown sugar? But otherwise, they come out great either way, and wrapping is a PITA and costs foil.

Sometimes I wrap em, sometimes I don’t, depends on who I’m serving. Wife likes em wrapped so sometimes I split the rack at 3 hours and wrap half rack for 2 hours with some apple juice added, then final hour nakid.

served with PBR of course 😀

Comment

Never wrapped ribs. Split a rack of St. Louis ribs in half and hang each half in the PBC. Start checking via bend test and toothpick test around 3 1/2 to 4 hrs in. Once it passes, I give a very light coating of BBQ sauce and let it tack up for 15 min. Whole thing takes around 4:30 most days.

Comment

I don't always wrap ribs, but when I do...

Honey, brown sugar and butter (or even margarine) in the foil for "a little while", then out of the foil to caramelize over high heat, and serve with sauce on the side.

Comment

I usually wrap my ribs. I seem to have an issue with them drying out before getting tender. Especially the loin meat on the baby backs. I must be doing something wrong

Comment

Personally I find ribs to be the easiest BBQ to make. I say that b/c (knock on wood) I've never screwed that up. First time I did them I did was on my Weber gas grill with a smoke box, water pan. Then I moved over to the WSM and never had any issues. Now I use my Grilla Siverback and love that, and I will still use my WSM too once the weather lets up. I don't wrap either. Tried it once and that was good enough for me. I like St. Louis too. I did make a spritz of apple cider vinegar and mixed in a little cheap bourbon I had. I don't know if it helps at all but it does look cool and does smell good when I use it. I don't probe them either and just reply on the bend test.

Comment

It will be interesting to see how you like the non wrapped ribs. In my experience 3-2-1 always turned the ribs into fall off the bone ribs which wasn't what I was looking for. There are a lot of people that like them that way but I haven't had that happen when I don't wrap.

Comment

• bbqLuv
                  bbqLuv commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Andrrr The best ribs by using the 3-2-1 method is using the "3-2-1" as a guide. Meat cooks with time and temperature. No-wrap has produced the best ribs to date. Mrs. BBQLUV cleaned the bones.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here