Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Steak Technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have made smoked stuffed pork steaks a couple of times with good results, there are probably pictures someplace on show us what you are cooking. I use two 3/4” pork steaks, dry brined with MD for seasoning then tied together with string to hold in dressing. If you do it this way try to align the bones when you tie them together as it makes it easier to cut and serve. Boneless pork steaks are harder to tie and work with.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you stuff them with pork sausage? I do large pork chops that way. Also boudain is amazing stuffed in them.

• Argoboy
      Argoboy commented
      Editing a comment
      I have stuffed them with a Apple cranberry corn bread dressing and a sausage dressing.

Oh yea, here's to pork steaks cooked the Malcom Reed way;

Click image for larger version

Name:	pork steak 05.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	1161015

Comment

I cook them like St. Louis Pork steaks. There are two approaches. One is to smoke them before searing and saucing. The other is to just cook them hot and fast and then saucing, but yours look too thick for that. I tried both methods on a friend who was familiar with them from St. Louis. She was familiar with the hot and fast method. Both are good, but I think that the hot and fast method is just as tender as the smoking first method when the steaks are 3/4”-1” thick. I like the hot and fast method because of the time element.
      Last edited by LA Pork Butt; January 17, 2022, 02:14 PM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm definitely going to try them a little thinner as well.

I tried this recipe once and it was very good. Another use for the mighty pork steak!

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        I have been contemplating dunking one in the hot tub, thanks for the share.

My grandmother's recipe is to treat them like round steaks. Dredge in flour, pan fry, make gravy with the fond, let simmer in the gravy until tender.

Comment

A couple of weeks ago I posted a simple pork steak dry brine, front sear, finished in the oven at 200, pulled at IT of 145. I'm not sure why some of these recipes call for cooking pork steaks to 190?

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...53#post1155053

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0116.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	4.12 MB ID:	1161566 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0119.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	2.26 MB ID:	1161565
        Last edited by Dr. Pepper; January 18, 2022, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• DavidNorcross
          DavidNorcross commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice!

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Nothing wrong with that!!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here