Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baby Back Ribs in the Pit Barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Livermoron
    commented on 's reply
    They came out great! I put in a chunk of apple and one of hickory. The wind really affected temps, and I ended up pulling the ribs earlier than I wanted to, so they weren't quite as tender as I would like, but the flavor was fantastic!

(We were testing four kinds of Kinder BBQ sauce. I like the Sriracha sauce the best...)

• Thomassen
    commented on 's reply
    I've left it at the factory setting of 1/4 open. Sometimes I think about opening it a little more. I usually start it with a full level basket of charcoal with lighter fluid. Last time I are sure I used a lot of lighter fluid. How did your ribs turn out?

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    I've not found the bottom vent to do a whole lot. Unless I have a strong wind blowing right into it.

How you light, pre-heat, and how much cold meat you load that thing down with, will affect the cooking temps more than I could ever get out of adjusting the bottom vent.

Leave a comment:

• Livermoron
    replied
    I put down 4 SLCs in the PBC last weekend. Took me about 4 hours, but it was a very windy day in Livermore. I'm still having issues getting the lower vent dialed in...how do you have yours set?

Leave a comment:

• Thomassen
    started a topic Baby Back Ribs in the Pit Barrel

Baby Back Ribs in the Pit Barrel

I purchased one of Noah Granville's Pit Barrel Cookers back in late July. I have had the best results with hanging baby back ribs. The most I've cooked are 4 racks at a time. Do Pit Barrel users experience longer cooking times the more racks they cook? If so, how much longer? I know some of my times were affected by meat temperature. Colder ribs, longer cooking time.

Im in Oakland, CA and am cooking at sea level.

July 20th Cook
    3 Racks Swift's Premium from Costco
    Coals lit per instructions
    Checked at 2 hours, pulled and sauced
    Pulled at 2.5 hours
    They were great!

July 27th Cook
    2 racks Baby Backs from Trader Joe's
    Same as above

Labor Day Cook
    3 Racks Swift's Premium from Costco
    ​Coals lit per instructions
    Had to thaw slightly as my fridge is giving me problems. One end started freezing. Water bath for 15-20 minutes.
    Checked at 2 hours
    Checked at 2.5
    Checked at 3 hours, temp a was 145
    Checked at 3.5 hours, same temp
    I was bringing them to a friend's house and people were getting hungry, pulled and sauced
    People thought they were good.
    Not as good as my first two cooks

October 3rd Cook
    2 Racks from Berkeley Bowl Meat Coop, 2 racks from Trader Joe's
    1/4 of a basket of coals lit on a chimney and dumped in after 15 minutes
    Checked at 2 hours
    Checked at 2.5 hours
    Checked at 3.0 hours
    Checked and sauced at 3.25 hours
    Pulled and served at 3.75 hours

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here