Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mangalitsa!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mangalitsa!

Whenever I read that, I hear The Clash singing, "Oh, oh, Sandinista!"

Anyhow. I made a glaze with pineapple juice, brown sugar, and Jamaican jerk seasoning. Scored the outside and painted the glaze on, then painted every 20 minutes thereafter. I used the oven at 350* instead of the BGE because the game was on and I didn’t want to run outside to baste it every 20 minutes. Cooked to 160* internal. The pictures tell the rest.

This is the best ham I’ve ever eaten. It’s not even close.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AEF9ACAE-6838-443B-8EEC-97C866E8DC27.jpeg
Views:	328
Size:	225.2 KB
ID:	1145024

Click image for larger version

Name:	8106A256-E910-4FF3-A4C6-40FD51D040A9.jpeg
Views:	303
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1145025 Click image for larger version

Name:	747AEDB1-289E-40B4-A8C2-8586EA7F0193.jpeg
Views:	307
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	1145026 Click image for larger version

Name:	ECD261E2-E3D5-4C50-B648-AA88D8C5EB00.jpeg
Views:	299
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	1145028 Click image for larger version

Name:	17EDBF6D-B7F8-4F95-B6EC-856341024901.jpeg
Views:	299
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	1145027 Click image for larger version

Name:	96A972E7-C677-4570-BCEB-EF9B9087DEDA.jpeg
Views:	301
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	1145030 Click image for larger version

Name:	994343F9-DF97-4980-BD49-D8C15252817A.jpeg
Views:	297
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	1145029

I can say it’s one of the purdiest hams I ever did see!

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree!

My wife is a ham, so your ham takes second place, noice job!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      I've been a FCC licensed 'Ham' fer over 20 years...

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      And we all know you like to ham it up - Mr. Bones

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      With Beans, Brother!

RonB

My wife may be the ham but I'm the Ham Bone. All good hams need a . . . oh, never mind.

Comment

Wow! Pineapple 🍍 and Jerk seasoning - what a great idea! Looks so good.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

That’s definitely one of the best looking hams I’ve …ever….seen! Great job Mosca!

Comment

Looks gorgeous! I best its tasted as good as it looks

Comment

Just a note, 160* was probably a bit high. It’s still spectacular. Other sources say that it would be okay to pull it at 135-140.

Comment

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                Eric2662 I got it from Allen Brothers. Would you agree, though, that even cooked to 160* it is incredibly delicious?

I will definitely get this ham again. And I will cook it to 135*-140*.

• Eric2662
                Eric2662 commented
                Editing a comment
                Mosca Without a doubt it was one of the most flavorful hams I've ever tasted! Im curious to try Mangalitsa ribs now. I want to see how they stack up against some of the other heritage breeds I've had.

• Sweaty Paul
                Sweaty Paul commented
                Editing a comment
                Was this a pre-cooked ham? It looks positively spectacular!

Oh,,,,,,WOW,,,,,
              looks outstanding,,,

Comment

Looks amazing! Where did you get your ham, what was the "starting material"? This looks like something definitely worth trying.

Comment

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I got it at Allen Brothers, last spring, and held it in the freezer until last week. It’s a Mangalitsa ham: https://www.dartagnan.com/mangalica-...tage-pork.html . It’s seasonal in a way I don’t remember right now; sometimes you can get it, and sometimes you can’t.

This is by far the best ham I’ve ever eaten. The meat is deeply flavorful, and the skin is crackly and fatty. It’s beautiful.

Here’s more: https://modernfarmer.com/2014/03/mee...obe-beef-pork/

• DaveD
                  DaveD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks much for that info! Then my question becomes, in your view, how much of the greatness do you ascribe to the inherent quality of the ham, and how much to the way you prepared it? If one can even make such a distinction. No pressure.

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It’s the ham. I’ve made hams before. This is different. Look at it; it looks like brisket, it’s that deep red. If anything, I overcooked it, and it’s still outrageous. I can’t stop picking at it. It’s sliced up in a bag in the fridge. I had a ham omelet for breakfast, a ham sandwich for lunch, and ham for dinner. I’m having ham tomorrow. It’s like ham brisket, with ham brisket burnt ends.

Looks amazing. I've had Mangalitsa pork chops from a local farm and it was hands down the most delicious pork chop I've ever had in my life.

Comment

Those pics inspired me. I picked up a spiral ham at Costco and some jerk and pineapple juice. Looking forward to this.

Comment

• Panhead John
                    Panhead John commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I’m thinking we’ll need a video afterwards, describing how you "pulled your pork" off the grill. 🤓

• JCBBQ
                    JCBBQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Panhead John I’ll have to bang one out soon. Lol

This looks and sounds delicious!

Comment

Man how did I miss that one, outstanding piece a work there Mosca

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here