Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mangalitsa!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosca
    commented on 's reply
    It’s the ham. I’ve made hams before. This is different. Look at it; it looks like brisket, it’s that deep red. If anything, I overcooked it, and it’s still outrageous. I can’t stop picking at it. It’s sliced up in a bag in the fridge. I had a ham omelet for breakfast, a ham sandwich for lunch, and ham for dinner. I’m having ham tomorrow. It’s like ham brisket, with ham brisket burnt ends.

• DaveD
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks much for that info! Then my question becomes, in your view, how much of the greatness do you ascribe to the inherent quality of the ham, and how much to the way you prepared it? If one can even make such a distinction. No pressure.

• Mosca
    commented on 's reply
    I got it at Allen Brothers, last spring, and held it in the freezer until last week. It’s a Mangalitsa ham: https://www.dartagnan.com/mangalica-...tage-pork.html . It’s seasonal in a way I don’t remember right now; sometimes you can get it, and sometimes you can’t.

This is by far the best ham I’ve ever eaten. The meat is deeply flavorful, and the skin is crackly and fatty. It’s beautiful.

Here’s more: https://modernfarmer.com/2014/03/mee...obe-beef-pork/

• DaveD
    replied
    Looks amazing! Where did you get your ham, what was the "starting material"? This looks like something definitely worth trying.

Leave a comment:

• Greygoose
    replied
    Oh,,,,,,WOW,,,,,
    looks outstanding,,,

Leave a comment:

• Mosca
    replied
    Just a note, 160* was probably a bit high. It’s still spectacular. Other sources say that it would be okay to pull it at 135-140.

Leave a comment:

• efincoop
    replied
    Looks gorgeous! I best its tasted as good as it looks

Leave a comment:

• Panhead John
    replied
    That’s definitely one of the best looking hams I’ve …ever….seen! Great job Mosca!

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    replied
    Very nice!

Leave a comment:

• JCBBQ
    replied
    Wow! Pineapple 🍍 and Jerk seasoning - what a great idea! Looks so good.

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    replied
    My wife may be the ham but I'm the Ham Bone. All good hams need a . . . oh, never mind.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    With Beans, Brother!

RonB

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    And we all know you like to ham it up - Mr. Bones

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    I've been a FCC licensed 'Ham' fer over 20 years...

• smokenoob
    replied
    My wife is a ham, so your ham takes second place, noice job!

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here