Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temperature of Rib Delivery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temperature of Rib Delivery

I just received a gift package with two racks of spare ribs from the Salt Lick. They were delivered by Fedex at about 6:30 pm. When I opened the package, all the ice bundles were defrosted and the meat was cool to the touch. I hit them with my temp gun and they read 51 degrees. They are cryovaced. The insert says they will arrive either frozen, partially thawed, or thawed. Do you think they are alright at this temp or should I call the Salt Lick tomorrow and ask for replacements. These are ribs that have already been cooked and will just be reheated in the oven.

Tell em what happened. They should know & they should replace. Also, keep the ones ya have cuz they will be Ok if’n ya warm em up good.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      There FireMan goes again. Don't listen to him, listen to me. "Tell em what happened. They should know & they should replace. Also, keep the ones ya have cuz they will be Ok if’n ya warm em up good." -- FireMan 😛😛😛
      Last edited by bbqLuv; December 15, 2021, 08:56 PM.

I'd complain just in case. Then I'd open one or more and sniff. If they still smell like regular ol' raw ribs then chances are they're ok and I'd probably cook 'em. My guess is they thawed slow enough that they're probably ok.

Comment

• jlazar
      jlazar commented
      Editing a comment
      These ribs are precooked. Instructions are to cook 10 min at 410 and then 20 min at 275 with a basting of their BBQ sauce before each cook.

I was thinking the precooking probably made them a little safer.
      Last edited by jlazar; December 15, 2021, 10:33 PM.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      jlazar Oops, missed that last sentence. I'd still cook 'em myself.

I'd ask for replacements, and toss the defrosted ones. The reason being is that if they were in any sort of insulated cooler, then it took a long time for the ice packs to melt, and the meat to rise to 50 degrees. To me, that means too much time in the danger zone.

Comment

• jlazar
      jlazar commented
      Editing a comment
      The info shows 11am mailing and about 6:15pm delivery the next day. 19 hours.

• Clark
      Clark commented
      Editing a comment
      jlazar Your math is fuzzy. 11:00 am mailing to 6:15 pm NEXT day is 31 hours; not 19.

• jlazar
      jlazar commented
      Editing a comment
      Clark Your right.

I've left pizza on the stove overnight, not lately . Fully cooked almost approaches shelf stable, at least on my stove . And reheating at 410......dang!!!

It would likely take a week at 75-F just to get a little growth. Microbes have a Lag time, things don't go Log wild just cause things got above refrigerator temp for short period of time.

It took raw chicken 2 days at room temperature, after being chilled, to experience any kind of Logarithmic growth.

Comment

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      I got away with eating a lot of crap when I was a kid that I probably shouldn't have. That said, unless they smelled funny, I'd eat these ribs.

Jerod Broussard certainly know a lot more about this kind of thing than I do. If he says it's okay, then I'd eat them.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      What's with your beard net and helmet? I've never had facial hair in my 19+ years around food, but plenty hair net, helmet, and more recently, face masks.

• willxfmr
      willxfmr commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod Broussard I've had a beard of some sort for the last 30 years, and can't bring myself to shave it off to get away from the beard nets. The last 11 years have been split up working in a couple of different cheese plants, so like you, the nets have just become part of the routine.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      That is so cool. Being able to properly squeeze the cheese at work. I saw Kraft is paying people $20 NOT to make cheesecake this Christmas. Think I was going to make 20 this year, me and my 19 other ID's. Hehe

Thanks to all. Especially Jerod Broussard
    Last edited by jlazar; December 16, 2021, 10:52 AM.

Comment

We ordered some inexpensive steaks from [a place not worth mentioning, but advertises a lot if you pay attention to those things], and they arrived days later than promised in a similar "kinda defrosted?" manner. Temp gun showed temps in the mid 40's upon unpacking.

Called the vendor and they sent a fresh box out, no charge.

Comment

Just talked to Salt Lick. They apologized and said they will send out a new package next week. They will also talk to Fedex about letting it sit on a truck all day long. Absolutely no hassle - great customer service. They recommend pitching the meat I received.

Comment

• Murdy
        Murdy commented
        Editing a comment
        My wife says I have a dog stomach.

Better safe than sorry on something like this...

Comment

• jlazar
        jlazar commented
        Editing a comment
        Dang. Would hate to pitch if still good, but the wife wants to pitch.

You could always feed some to the kids, and see how it goes. Just say'n....

Comment

• jlazar
        jlazar commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm 73. Kids are too old to fall for that.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Grandkid's maybe?
        Last edited by Panhead John; December 16, 2021, 08:00 PM.

They're pre-cooked, I reckon you could leave them on the dashboard for a summers day and they would be fine to munch on, jmho

Comment

UPDATE. It has been about a month since I posted originally, and I have never received the replacement order from Salt Lick that I was told I would receive. I sent this email to Salt Lick last Friday along with my name, phone number and address.

"My brother, Jack Lazar, ordered a rack of spare ribs and a rack of beef ribs for me in December. I called your shipping department around the 15th of Dec to report the ribs had been delivered late the 2nd day after shipping, but that there was no ice left in the container. When I checked the temperature with a temp gun the temp of the meat was in the 50s. Your representative apologized and said I should just throw that meat out and that she would have a replacement order sent. She did indicate that you were currently out of product and that a replacement order would not ship until the next week (the week of Christmas). I did not receive a shipping notice the following week and no product was delivered. The week after Christmas, I called shipping and got a recorded message. I left a message about not receiving shipment but did not receive a callback. I noticed on your website that you were not shipping again until after the first of the year, so I did not call again that week. I have called 3 times this week (left 2 messages) and still just get a recorded message with no callback. Please advise what number I can call to get this order completed and delivered (at a proper temperature)."

I have received no response to this email. It appears my initial impression of Salt Lick customer service was wrong. Based on this experience, I cannot recommend them to the Pit members (although I have eaten there many times and ordered from them previously). At this point, I think all that can be done is to have my brother ask his CC company to reverse the charges.

On a side note, I recently ordered two briskets from Creekstone. They arrived from a much greater distance and in the same amount of time - still frozen. They were in a box that contained a foam cooler. Inside the cooler was an insulated zippered pouch that held the frozen meat and around 8 frozen ice blocks. The Salt Lick shipment was in just a box and foam cooler. The ice blocks (3 if I remember right) were room temp and so was the interior of the cooler. It shows that a meat company packages much differently than a restaurant.

Comment

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          That is pretty poor of Salt Lick. I would probably just dispute the charge with the credit card and fry your money back immediately. Good to hear Creekstone is top notch as usual.

• smokenoob
          smokenoob commented
          Editing a comment
          And I thought this is going to be your update on getting out of the hospital for eating bad ribs, my bad!😁

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here