Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Rib Rack-how to cook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Rib Rack-how to cook?

Photo from Wild Fork - https://wildforkfoods.com/products/f...=9385760620580

This looks amazing, but how do you prepare it to get the ribs and the loin both right, or is that possible?
    Attached Files

Look on youtube for "Candle Roast" or "Crown Roast"

Basically if you want to cook on the pit, I would reverse sear it - heat slowly at 225 degrees to about 130-135 then sear it. IT should be about 145 degrees. Or do like a traditional prime rib, sear hot then drop the temperature to finish it.
    Last edited by 58limited; December 11, 2021, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Is it possible to have the ribs and the roast section done or do you sacrifice one?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Both are possible.
        Depends on yer definition of Done.
        If'n ya means Food Safe, then yep. 'Tis
        If'n ya means cooked till it's white an dry, traditionally, well, reckon that there's possible, as well...

How to cook it? Apply a good pork rub, and then pellet grill at 225*F, my choice is a Traeger with supper smoke on.
      Cook to 140*F internal.

I like to keep my cooks simple.

Comment

It should all come together at once unless you want to remove the ribs. Here is AR's crown roast method: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...k-crown-roast/

You probably need more ribs to make into a crown roast. My parents made this for Christmas for several years, usually they would order a 12-20 bone crown roast. They used an apricot glaze.
        Last edited by 58limited; December 11, 2021, 05:49 PM.

Comment

I think I am phrasing this wrong - are the ribs edible/good when the loin is done, or are they discarded?

Comment

• 58limited
            58limited commented
            Editing a comment
            When my parents cooked it, it was served by cutting into individual "lollipops" with the rib bone attached - we ate it all and it was good.

I would also Q it at 225 until it hit your preferred IT. I also run a pellet smoker so easy to to do. Regardless of how you do it, it will be tasty. 👍

Comment

The ribs are not ideal. You will never get "baby back ribs" texture and doneness from this cut. And certainly not falling off the bone. But, that doesn't mean they aren't still delicious, just in a different way than if they were cooked separately.

When I do racks of lamb or pork, I like to really get that rib meat over direct heat. Getting that fat soft and partially rendered and crisped gives you a very good eating rib.

Last time for my 3 rib chops, I used a torch to finish. The torch can help finish up those areas without overcooking the loin.

It's a fun cut. The rib meat is delicious. Just not as you may be expecting.

Cheers and happy smoking.
            Last edited by gboss; December 12, 2021, 12:26 AM. Reason: edit: spell good

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here