Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Porchetta cooking method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porchetta cooking method

Decided to do Porchetta for Christmas dinner, just doing some research. I usually prefer to make everything myself, but sourcing a belly with loin attached, which seems preferred, is difficult. I found a local butcher who sell prepared Porchetta.

I have just about every cooking method available, grill (charcoal and gas) smoker, wood fired oven, Sous Vide and rotisserie over wood/charcoal. The goal is that crispy skin, isn’t that everyone’s? What is y’all’s favorite method?

1) I'd avoid SV (can't see the advantage and I want the roast flavors and the internal herbs to permeate the meat, not escape into the bag) and if you want to taste traditional porchetta as a baseline, it's not a smoked meat in Italy, so those methods would be out for a first try.

2) Poke the skin all over to let fat drain. You could leave it bit uncovered in the fridge to dry just a bit, but I don't think that will really accomplish all that much.

3) So I use an oven and reverse roast, i.e. I cooked at low temp (325) until, um, I think it was 145F and then removed the porchetta, boosted the temp to 450 (you could go 500) and slid it back in until it hit 160. The need for very high heat would also rule out all but the gasser, I think.

NOTE: you could likely also get a good crisp skin by roasting at a high temp then moving to low. I've not done that but I don't see why it wouldn't work. All you're really doing is balancing getting the internal temp to a safe, cooked level and crisping the skin without having the internal temp go so high it dries out.

Oh and... ask the butcher. The above was for a butterflied pork butt, but the butcher hopefully knows how to cook the precise cuts they prepped.
    Last edited by rickgregory; December 11, 2021, 03:10 PM.

Comment

It’s defiantly a belly! I might even get a belly at Costco and use that, but a loin attached to belly is preferable.

Comment

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        You could also wrap a belly around a pork loin if they're both the same width. Not precisely like what's traditionally used, but I've never seen them attached in a butcher shop.

I did my last one using a boneless pork shoulder and butterflied it so it opened up and laid flat, then I rolled it back up. It turned out well but I think if using a pork shoulder, I'd go low and slow (225 or 250F) to more fully render the fat, then bump the temp. Hmm... maybe I should do another one for Christmas....

Best way to cook a porchetta?

First - get a food truck with a flamebroiled rotisserie going on it

I've waited 25m in line for this. It's fantastic.

(ref: roli roti)

Comment

I’ve done a couple on my 22” kettle with rotisserie. Turned out perfect each time.

One of my local butchers orders the pork belly for me. Only takes a couple days to get it.

Comment

This is funny, totally forgot that I posted this 3 years ago.

Decided to do Porchetta for Christmas dinner, just doing some research. I usually prefer to make everything myself, but sourcing a belly with loin attached, which seems preferred, is difficult. I found a local butcher who sell prepared Porchetta. I have just about every cooking method available, grill (charcoal and gas)

I ended up cooking on the rotisserie, over charcoal and wood on my Engelbrecht Brantan grill. I know how much grease pork can give off, so I sat outside and baby sat it for 2 1/2 hrs. It was doing just fine, so I went inside for just a few minutes. I returned to a huge grease fire! It was so hot, it actually melted some aluminum foil I was using. I learned my lesson. I did manage to salvage some of the meat.

Comment

Just got the Porchetta from the butcher. Not what I expected, the center of the roast is stuffed with sausage, so I can’t see cooking this thing much less than 165°. Not what I would want.

Wondering if I did a lengthy SV at something much less, then sear, if this would be better. I’m sure this would be made safe, just uncertain about the texture of the sausage?

Any opinions?

Comment

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              You can go less than 165 as long as it's at that temp long enough. The method of keeping it at, say, 155 isn't relevant, it's the time at that temp (in other words whether you do it as a slow roast in the oven or SV doesnt matter).

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              PS: 165 is fine too. Porchetta isn't lean, so there's no issue with drying out as there would be with a lean roast. Personally, I'd slow roast it to 155 or so internal, remove from the oven, pump the oven temp to 450 or so, then put the porchetta back in until the inside hits 165 or the outside is crisped up.

I would NOT SV this. You want the slow roasting flavors from the dry oven heat.
              Last edited by rickgregory; December 23, 2021, 02:37 PM.

Right, but was thinking SV for 24 hrs at somethig like 140. It would be perfectly safe, just not sure about texture
            Last edited by SierraBBQGuy; December 23, 2021, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              There's no need. There's zero food safety issue, it will be well over 140 for a long time if you slow roast it. SV brings nothing to the table and will compromise the flavors and texture, I think.

So I understand, you would slow roast, I’m gonna use my pellet smoker, cook to 140 ish? Then brown up at 500°. My MAK will do 500° 👍

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
              DogFaced PonySoldier commented
              Editing a comment
              That sounds like a singularly great idea. To me. Definitely sear the hellz outta that baby at the end!

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah I'd likely go a LITTLE higher, like 145 but that's a detail. Slow roast (think like 275-325F not 225F) to let fat render, get that roasted texture, etc. Then pop in a 450-500 oven (or the MAK, etc) and let the exterior crisp up which should take 15-30 minutes (keep an eye on it!) and take the interior to 155-165.
              Last edited by rickgregory; December 23, 2021, 05:11 PM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	169234B1-E973-4AE0-8A6E-F761E4FBF2CE.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	393.5 KB
ID:	1147256 I’ve only made porchetta once. About 4 years ago. Pretty spectacular. I think it was a Kenji recipe although I looked at a ton of videos on line to get all the spices right - make sure you get fennel pollen. I SV for 36 hours and then deep fried it. I couldn’t say it’s better than any other way bc I’ve never made it any other way. I can say it was damn good eats.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here