Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long can I brine bacon-to-be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long can I brine bacon-to-be?

Hey all - yesterday I bought some beautiful pork belly to make some bacon. My plan was to brine it per Meathead's recipe and then smoke it next weekend, so the brine would be about 8-10 days. But now I am going to be away that weekend and won't be able to smoke it until the following weekend, about 17 days from now. So my options are start the brine now anyway, or freeze the belly and begin the brine process a week from now. (I suppose I could also leave the unbrined belly hanging out in the fridge for a week instead of freezing it but this strikes me as unsafe). Any advice?

I personally don't like to take chances, especially with something as potentially volatile as pork belly. I would freeze it and start the process when you have a clear window of opportunity. Just my .02.

Comment

Brine it for the 8-10, days then rinse pat dry , wrap and freeze it until you are ready to smoke. Depending on the weight and thickness off the belly it could be ready to smoke in a week, I stack my bellies and rotate and flip daily, once they feel firm they are ready to go.

Comment

Thanks Gents!

Comment

After curing bacon for 7-10 days I always soak in fresh water for an hour before proceeding to keep it from being too salty. If you cure a little longer you could always soak a little longer (1 1/2 hour). It can't be over cured, but can be too salty. After curing and freshening you could hold in fridge 2 or 3 days before smoking without worry also.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here