Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston Butt Fast Cook Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boston Butt Fast Cook Time

Hey guys, I woke up too late this morning to get my Boston butt on the smoker and have it be ready for this evening cooking at 225 degrees. I'm currently at 275 and researching around to get it figured out. I put it in at 11am and want it done by 7:30pm with pull texture. The object here is not perfection, just tasty edible pulled pork. So here is what I'm going to do if I don't see a better option:

10.5lbs, salted last night and covered, refrigerator cold initial temp

Cook at 275 with big water pan
    Get to a 170 degree stall
    Transfer to 300 degree oven 2-3 hours before 7:30pm, covered with foil in shallow pan and get meat temp to 200 - It will be cold and dark in Maine so better off having it inside in a controlled oven environment (I think)
    Let sit on counter top for 15 minutes before pulling

I am a patient son of a gun and will normally wait until it's done no matter what, but some friends are coming over to watch football this afternoon and they will be hungry. If someone sees a better alternative it would be much apprecated.

Any better thoughts let me know!

275 is fine. You could even smoke it at 300 if you want (though if using a pellet grill you'll get little smoke). There's no reason to use 225, really.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      +1
      Low and slow is great but for instant gratification 300 or higher is where I smoke butts.

Sounds good to me. I wait until I get the bark I like usually as it comes out of the stall. But yes, if it seems like its taking to long crank it up.

Comment

Your plan will work. My approach would be to get the bark formed asap, then transfer wrapped to the oven and git 'r done early enough to allow about an hour of holding time before pulling. The oven could be 330 or so for this purpose.
      Last edited by Steve R.; November 21, 2021, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Excellent thanks for the input! My email notifications must be shut off, didn't get these messages until I logged in. The "glisten" is more evident when using 225 and waiting forever, why I usually do it that way (Maybe changing my mind now!). So it's at 185 using a 275 smoker temp, most likely out of the stall. I didn't think it would be this quick, bark looks good.. It could actually be done on the smoker in a couple hours, but I'm going to transfer to oven sealed in foil -will try the 330 degree oven temp suggestion.

Thanks again for the advice! I think I may have been not cooking at a high enough temp all along.

Comment

FYI, in case anyone cares lol, I transferred at 5:30 (at ~180 degrees meat temp) to a 330 degree oven just covered/sealed with foil not wrapped. Temp got to 199 at 7:00. First time i've done a crutch on a butt, bark a little too moist but delicious taste test. Going to fork it up and sauce before the hungry vultures get at it. Nice!

Comment

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            *cough* Pics...

• launched
            launched commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah I blew it on the photos, will have to start doing that because it looked as good as it tasted!

Glad it all worked out! Still wondering how this is a beef discussion?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here