Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Pork Belly Cook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Pork Belly Cook?

We were assembling the cure for a 9lb Costco pork belly/bacon smoke, and on a whim I set aside the last 3lb section to cook a meal with. I’d like some recommendations for a first pork belly cook, keeping in mind that I’ve never eaten pork belly that hadn’t been turned into bacon. All suggestions are welcome!

Pork belly burnt ends!

Comment

• shify
      shify commented
      Editing a comment
      Always the right answer

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      This! One of my favorite things to do with it in fact...

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      another!

Gua Bao buns are always delicious and look fairly easy to make (if you buy the buns to steam).

Comment

A few of my favourite simple ways:-
      Dry brine overnight.
      Smoke the whole hunk rubbed in MMD at 130C until probe tender and slice.
      Cut into +- 1.5 inch thick slices, rub of choice and indirect 'till probe tender brush with favourite bbq sauce (optional) then over hot coals flipping frequently for minute or two (the rendering fat gives them a nice flame grill)
      Pork belly burnt ends for the win (something every bbq'er should do at least once)
      I love pork belly.

Comment

I am planning the same approach for weekend following Thanksgiving with a Pork Belly I have in the freezer from Costco. I plan to do pork belly burnt ends with the non-bacon piece

Comment

True story. I bought a Costco pork belly right before Halloween. I was going to serve it as an appetizer at my daughters Halloween party that she had for her classmates. I cut them up into cubes for burnt ends and threw them on the smoker. Once they hit the right temp I went to wrap them I added some apple juice. That is when I found out that Apple juice can go bad and grow mold in it. I poured nasty moldy apple juice into my wrapped burnt ends, which made up 95% of the cook. I had a few cubes that I didn’t wrap. So into the trash those wrapped burnt ends went. I was left with 6-7 pieces that I continued to smoke and shared them with family who loved them. I’ll never use apple juice again and will stick with apple cider vinegar. I googled whether or not I could’ve eaten them, and I did find that I’m not alone in this travesty and while I probably could have eaten then and been fine there was no way I was going to serve those to a bunch of kids at a Halloween party.

I did them on my pellet smoker too and the grease can overflowed and spilled all over from all that fat. It was brand new can when I threw the belly on there so keep an eye on that.
          Last edited by radiodome21; November 17, 2021, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• Sid P
            Sid P commented
            Editing a comment
            Man, what a bummer. At least it was a $10 pork belly and not a brisket!

• radiodome21
            radiodome21 commented
            Editing a comment
            I wish it was only $10. It was about $35. I watched Malcom’s video too. Helpful. It’s easy to make too.

• Sid P
            Sid P commented
            Editing a comment
            radiodome21 Sorry, I was thinking about my 3lb section. Sounds like you lost the whole 9 pounds.

Thanks all! There seems to be a consensus forming 🤣. Anyone else?

I’ve already watched Malcom Reed’s video and I’m sure it’s delicious, but I wouldn’t mind seeing some alternatives. Anyone?

Comment

make burnt ends, turn them into Banh Mi sammiches. This recipe on the public side is the bomb! I've done this as both the full sandwich and as just the burnt ends. It is awesome both ways

Mouthwatering Smoked Pork Belly Burnt Ends Banh Mi (amazingribs.com)

Comment

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              The free side is amazing.

• Sid P
              Sid P commented
              Editing a comment
              This looks delicious and we’re going to do it tomorrow or Saturday.

Everyone loves burnt ends so you can't go wrong with those but I also like to just smoke that 3lb slab low and slow until165 internal then stick it in the fridge and let it get pretty cold so it slices easy. Now get the grill going for a medium direct heat and slice the belly in 3/4" thick steaks and direct grill them 2-3 mins per side. Make whatever type of sweet glaze you like, we use peach preserves, and put a nice glaze on the steaks while cooking......man oh man those are pretty darn good.

Comment

The only way I've ever cooked belly is cubed for burnt ends. I always skewer and hang them in the PBC. They produce a ton of grease and the PBC fire cooks it off with no mess afterward.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                ..., ..., ...!

Originally posted by holehogg View Post
              I love pork belly.
              Really? I don't think you've ever expressed that before. 😂

Comment

• holehogg
                holehogg commented
                Editing a comment
                😂 I'm almost sure I might have mentioned it before.

We’re doing it today. This is after 1:50 in the smoke. I’ll be updating it in SUWYC .
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Sid P; November 19, 2021, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here