Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ham Questions, Ideas, Tips, etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ham Questions, Ideas, Tips, etc

First, long time, no post. Hope everybody is doing well.

Real questions-

I have been voluntold that I will be bringing ham to the extended family Thanksgiving gathering.
    There will be about 40ish people there, but it's a fairly pot luck meal. So 40 people.... is probably 20 servings, although I don't mind left overs.

Deciding between curing a ham from scratch, or going with the double smoked method. Anybody done both? Or have tips for one or the other?

Tools at my disposal - PBC
    (PBC PBC PBC) , SnS Kettle, and sous vide do hickey.

I've cured bacon and pastrami, pretty well, so curing isn't an issue.

Just looking for tips on which way to go, maybe what kind of ham to buy, where to buy it in Houston, and what you wish you'd known before you smoked your first ham.

Thanksgiving lunch is served promptly at noon, but the bar opens at 11. I'll also have to decide whether to smoke it the evening before, or get up super early, and have it off the smoker, ready to roll, that day.

Appreciate the help.

B

Well, given the timing considerations, I would definitely include sous vide as part of the deal. There is no need to sacrifice sleep when you can sous vide it and have to ready to heat for service as desired.

I don’t see a SVQ or QVQ recipe on the free side so I will let someone else chime in with specifics there.

Comment

Double smoked in the PBC is off the chain awesome. Cook it hot. Wait as long as you can to wrap.

Comment

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      May go this way. I've been smoking smaller amounts the last few months, and the PBC might be feeling left out.

Had to weld a new bottom on it. It burnt threw. But I think the new 1/4 in steel should last a while.

I have done both double smoked and cured my own. Each is awesome in its own way. I don't do the SV thing, so can't comment on that.

For the double smoked, I buy just a regular ole spiral cut, smoked ham. I follow the recipe on the public side. I use Chris Lilly's apricot glaze from his cookbook. It's off the hook awesome. I do it on my WSM, typically. You could do it on your SnS kettle no problem. I have found that something in the 15 lb range works. People are gonna have turkey too. and sides. and desserts. You'll be good with something that size. Plus you'll have a bone for soup!

For curing a ham, the biggest issue your timing now. T-Day isn't far away and you need to source a fresh ham. If you can get one in the next few days, curing your own ham is a lot of fun. Get something big, 15 odd lbs. It will fit on the SnS Kettle. I think I would do etiher of these approaches on the SnS for more traditional flavors.

That's my two cents worth.
    Last edited by ecowper; November 12, 2021, 05:36 PM.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      oh, and use Chris Lilly's glaze!!!!

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely doing this with Chris Lilly's glaze.... but I think the glaze needs a couple splashes of bourbon.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      BFlynn whiskey makes everything better!

You had me at "bar opens at 11".

Comment

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      It's a pretty open door policy. So, if you near Houston, come on.

ecowper nailed it. Spiral cut double smoked with the apricot glaze. Fantastic!

Comment

Ham was a big hit.

Thanks for the rec on the double smoked method. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211125_080411.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	1132370
      Attached Files

Comment

• Sid P
        Sid P commented
        Editing a comment
        I haven’t had that version, but how could it miss? Looks amazing!
        Last edited by Sid P; November 25, 2021, 04:05 PM.

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        ..., ..., ...!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here