Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The full shoulder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks pkadare

Yes, bone in one hunk, no bone in the other.

• zzdocxx
    replied
    This is the roll of mesh, I think it stretches to 4 or 5" diameter, which I think should be about right for a boneless shoulder, I hope.

If need be I think I can always tighten it up with some butcher's twine, right ?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• pkadare
    commented on 's reply
    From the referenced post 2.4:
    "If you feel around to determine where the bone is you can get two pretty equal size hunks. One with bone one without."

• zzdocxx
    replied
    Not sure where this fits in, but I bought some of that stretchy mesh for roasts on Amazon. Just got it delivered yesterday so heaven knows when I will get around to using it.

The thing is, I have been buying pork shoulder at Costco in a big vacuum pack which contains two pork shoulders with the bone already removed.

The bone being removed leaves various floppy pieces of meat which on my last cook I tucked in and pinioned with wooden skewers. Then I threw a few of butchers twine around it. What a big pain in the neck.

So next time I want to see if I can just stuff it in to the netting. I might use a piece of large diameter PVC pipe to assist with that.

I also like to cut the shoulder into more than one piece. Which makes it even more flippity floppity.

So yeah, going to try the mesh netting elastic stuff.

Anybody ever use that ?

One more thing, a question for Mr @xpHawker. You're saying that you cut through the bone in a pork shoulder with a knife???!!!??? I would have thought that not easy to do. But one thing seems apparent, with the bone still in, there isn't a bunch of loose ends of meat flapping about in the breeze.

​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Bkhuna
    replied
    Lately, I only make Pernil with the whole shoulder. The crispy skin is one of the best things about it.

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    If you go back up to post 2.4 someone else also asked this question and I have a link with pic of the last one I did. I just use a good sharp knife.

• CaptainMike
    replied
    If you can get your hands on some SS chicken wire it would make an adequate net to bundle the whole mess up. I've been to a few whole hog cooks and chicken wire is what they all used to truss Miss Piggy up. Even if it's galvanized I doubt it would be a problem at the low temps and short contact time this cook requires, but I don't know that for a fact. I do know I've eaten plenty of it and I'm still plodding along nicely. Well, except for that weird twitch I have and my constant craving for frog legs...
    Last edited by CaptainMike; November 22, 2021, 11:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• zzdocxx
    replied
    Originally posted by HawkerXP View Post
    I also like a cooking challenge but with this one I’d have to ask why? Other then the "WOW look at this big hunk o meat" factor I don’t see any reason. We all know bark is where the flavor is. More bark = more flavor. This is why I cut my butts in half. Just my two cents.
    Bumping this older post, just wanted to find out, how do you cut these things, a hack saw or ? ? ?

Leave a comment:

• Backroadmeats
    replied
    Let me know when ya need one!! There is three pigs in there!! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210731_160804_hdr.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	1128694
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Rattlesnake
    replied
    Have you ever used a pork injection? If so, can you provide the recipe? I’ve cooked Boston butts many times but never injected them. Just want to see if it makes a difference in the taste and provides additional moisture.

Leave a comment:

• Sweaty Paul
    replied
    Keep us apprised!

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    TBoneJack I'll buy whatever is on sale. Mostly bone in. If you feel around to determine where the bone is you can get two pretty equal size hunks. One with bone one without. Go to post 408 to see 3 bone in butts split.
    Last edited by HawkerXP; November 6, 2021, 07:01 AM.

• pkadare
    replied
    If it were me, and I was planning on cooking something that large, I'd go for a small suckling pig, rather than a shoulder. To be honest, there's really nothing different cooking a whole shoulder versus a butt or a picnic, but a suckling pig is very different. Just my CAD $0.02 worth.

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    replied
    No advice from me, but BBQ and bourbon is in correct order, maybe add a PBR back.
    Last edited by bbqLuv; November 6, 2021, 12:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Draznnl
    replied
    I’m with HawkerXP on this one Richard. Doing the whole thing as a single piece will give you less bark. If you’re looking for a fun way to feed the neighbors, give them that bark they’ll really enjoy, even if they don’t know why. If you’re looking for another challenge for yourself, that’s another story. I’d wish you good luck, but I know you don’t need it. I’m sure you will conquer this cooking challenge and send the rest of us whimpering with gorgeous photos of the whole cook.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here