Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The full shoulder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure where this fits in, but I bought some of that stretchy mesh for roasts on Amazon. Just got it delivered yesterday so heaven knows when I will get around to using it.

The thing is, I have been buying pork shoulder at Costco in a big vacuum pack which contains two pork shoulders with the bone already removed.

The bone being removed leaves various floppy pieces of meat which on my last cook I tucked in and pinioned with wooden skewers. Then I threw a few of butchers twine around it. What a big pain in the neck.

So next time I want to see if I can just stuff it in to the netting. I might use a piece of large diameter PVC pipe to assist with that.

I also like to cut the shoulder into more than one piece. Which makes it even more flippity floppity.

So yeah, going to try the mesh netting elastic stuff.

Anybody ever use that ?

One more thing, a question for Mr @xpHawker. You're saying that you cut through the bone in a pork shoulder with a knife???!!!??? I would have thought that not easy to do. But one thing seems apparent, with the bone still in, there isn't a bunch of loose ends of meat flapping about in the breeze.

​​​​​​

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      From the referenced post 2.4:
      "If you feel around to determine where the bone is you can get two pretty equal size hunks. One with bone one without."

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks pkadare

Yes, bone in one hunk, no bone in the other.

This is the roll of mesh, I think it stretches to 4 or 5" diameter, which I think should be about right for a boneless shoulder, I hope.

If need be I think I can always tighten it up with some butcher's twine, right ?
    Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here