Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The full shoulder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The full shoulder

So, I’m sitting around thinking about nothing other then bbq and bourbon. Wishing I was doing both. Lol I’m always thinking about the cooks that I have not done yet, whether by budget, capacity of fire source, etc. one cook I have n0t done yet is a full shoulder intact picnic and butt. Anyone have feed back on what I would have to consider if doing this hanging intact on a 22 wsm? My thermo readings of lower side vs hanging side using a Hunsaker vortex over my charcoal ring, tells me that the upper half gets to heat and is hotter majority of the time, until the meat starts to take less energy. That tells me that the shoulder should be on top, it can handle more. But I worry about how I would have to truss it to prevent it from falling apart, can only imagine by how easy a shoulder can pull apart, it would not take much and the entire thing would fall, or so I think. Again, any feedback appreciated.

I also like a cooking challenge but with this one I’d have to ask why? Other then the "WOW look at this big hunk o meat" factor I don’t see any reason. We all know bark is where the flavor is. More bark = more flavor. This is why I cut my butts in half. Just my two cents.
    Last edited by HawkerXP; November 5, 2021, 09:49 AM.

Comment

I look forward to seeing you do this Richard Chrz
    I've seen them plenty of times in the cryovac but never attempted.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Suddenly this feels like one of those, "hold my beer and watch this" moments,..lol I’m also now much more likely. Ha!

The picnic has a thick layer of skin, so you will have to decide whether you will cook in with the skin on or off. The skin is what they make cracklings out of. I have never cooked the two together. Whenever I have cooked the picnic it has been after doing a Cuban brine-marinade and with the skin on. I suppose you could bring-marinade the entire shoulder.

Comment

Chudd's BBQ did a whole shoulder with skin on but he didn't hang it but he did it with direct(ish) heat. He outlined a good process for getting cracklings by putting a major lay of salt on the shoulder.

Check out his video on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq088wp3na8

Rob

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you!

I do full shoulders quite regularly, but not on that rig. Let me know if you want to know more.

Comment

I’m with HawkerXP on this one Richard. Doing the whole thing as a single piece will give you less bark. If you’re looking for a fun way to feed the neighbors, give them that bark they’ll really enjoy, even if they don’t know why. If you’re looking for another challenge for yourself, that’s another story. I’d wish you good luck, but I know you don’t need it. I’m sure you will conquer this cooking challenge and send the rest of us whimpering with gorgeous photos of the whole cook.

Comment

No advice from me, but BBQ and bourbon is in correct order, maybe add a PBR back.
          Last edited by bbqLuv; November 6, 2021, 12:06 AM.

Comment

If it were me, and I was planning on cooking something that large, I'd go for a small suckling pig, rather than a shoulder. To be honest, there's really nothing different cooking a whole shoulder versus a butt or a picnic, but a suckling pig is very different. Just my CAD $0.02 worth.

Comment

Keep us apprised!

Comment

Have you ever used a pork injection? If so, can you provide the recipe? I’ve cooked Boston butts many times but never injected them. Just want to see if it makes a difference in the taste and provides additional moisture.

Comment

Let me know when ya need one!! There is three pigs in there!! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210731_160804_hdr.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	1128694
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by HawkerXP View Post
                    I also like a cooking challenge but with this one I’d have to ask why? Other then the "WOW look at this big hunk o meat" factor I don’t see any reason. We all know bark is where the flavor is. More bark = more flavor. This is why I cut my butts in half. Just my two cents.
                    Bumping this older post, just wanted to find out, how do you cut these things, a hack saw or ? ? ?

Comment

• HawkerXP
                      HawkerXP commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If you go back up to post 2.4 someone else also asked this question and I have a link with pic of the last one I did. I just use a good sharp knife.

If you can get your hands on some SS chicken wire it would make an adequate net to bundle the whole mess up. I've been to a few whole hog cooks and chicken wire is what they all used to truss Miss Piggy up. Even if it's galvanized I doubt it would be a problem at the low temps and short contact time this cook requires, but I don't know that for a fact. I do know I've eaten plenty of it and I'm still plodding along nicely. Well, except for that weird twitch I have and my constant craving for frog legs...
                    Last edited by CaptainMike; November 22, 2021, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Lately, I only make Pernil with the whole shoulder. The crispy skin is one of the best things about it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here