Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The full shoulder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TBoneJack
    commented on 's reply
    Just curious: do you cook boneless butts, or do you cut through bone to halve them?

• texastweeter
    replied
    I do full shoulders quite regularly, but not on that rig. Let me know if you want to know more.

Leave a comment:

• Richard Chrz
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you!

• Rob whatever
    replied
    Chudd's BBQ did a whole shoulder with skin on but he didn't hang it but he did it with direct(ish) heat. He outlined a good process for getting cracklings by putting a major lay of salt on the shoulder.

Check out his video on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq088wp3na8

Rob

Leave a comment:

• LA Pork Butt
    replied
    The picnic has a thick layer of skin, so you will have to decide whether you will cook in with the skin on or off. The skin is what they make cracklings out of. I have never cooked the two together. Whenever I have cooked the picnic it has been after doing a Cuban brine-marinade and with the skin on. I suppose you could bring-marinade the entire shoulder.

Leave a comment:

• Richard Chrz
    commented on 's reply
    Suddenly this feels like one of those, "hold my beer and watch this" moments,..lol I’m also now much more likely. Ha!

• Hulagn1971
    replied
    I look forward to seeing you do this Richard Chrz
    I've seen them plenty of times in the cryovac but never attempted.

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    I get where you were headed now. Good luck on your journey!

• Richard Chrz
    commented on 's reply
    I understand the "but why" part to do something just to do it, is certainly not always the best reason. My why would be I am not sure what my chances are of being involved in whole hog cooking or large half beef sections, but, learning the larger primal cuts might give me at least some of the education of what that bigger step might entail, heck, it may make me a better cook on one section. Also, just because it would be a fun way to feed neighbors.

• HawkerXP
    replied
    I also like a cooking challenge but with this one I’d have to ask why? Other then the "WOW look at this big hunk o meat" factor I don’t see any reason. We all know bark is where the flavor is. More bark = more flavor. This is why I cut my butts in half. Just my two cents.
    Last edited by HawkerXP; November 5, 2021, 09:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Richard Chrz
    started a topic The full shoulder

The full shoulder

So, I’m sitting around thinking about nothing other then bbq and bourbon. Wishing I was doing both. Lol I’m always thinking about the cooks that I have not done yet, whether by budget, capacity of fire source, etc. one cook I have n0t done yet is a full shoulder intact picnic and butt. Anyone have feed back on what I would have to consider if doing this hanging intact on a 22 wsm? My thermo readings of lower side vs hanging side using a Hunsaker vortex over my charcoal ring, tells me that the upper half gets to heat and is hotter majority of the time, until the meat starts to take less energy. That tells me that the shoulder should be on top, it can handle more. But I worry about how I would have to truss it to prevent it from falling apart, can only imagine by how easy a shoulder can pull apart, it would not take much and the entire thing would fall, or so I think. Again, any feedback appreciated.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here