Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork butt extended resting time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork butt extended resting time

I need to prepare pulled pork for my kids school and need to drop at school at 10:30 am this Thursday. My thought was making it Wednesday day and when done either holding in an oven at maybe 150 overnight and until I drop off ( leave whole then shred soon before drop off) or refrigerate overnight whole and then put in 170 oven at maybe 8:00am and then shred again a bit before bringing to school. Thoughts. I know people rest briskets in warming oven hours and hours but haven’t see similar with pork butt. Thanks.

Greetings and welcome from North Carolina.

When the butt is done, i would wrap tightly in double layer of foil and hold in the oven or pack in a cooler overnight. Either way you shouldn't loose too much heat and be safe to serve.
    have done 100's this way packing in coolers.

Comment

When I cook the day before, I typically pull it when ready. Then I put into aluminum pans and cover tightly with foil. The next day, I pull the foil back, add some apple juice, recover, and heat slowly in the oven. It turns out about 90% as good as same day.

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        +1

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        This is my process as well. Except I don't use apple juice...

Dzeichick

Yer plan will work fine, have done it countless times...pan it, cover tightly, hold in oven...

Pull when gittin ready fer delivery is my preference...

I've held 18 hrs, between comin offa th smoker, an mealtime, with nuthin but compliments, little (if any) leftovers.

I'm sure ecowper 's method works equally as well...I highly respeck his abilities, an experience!

Nice to hear from ya, Welcome to Th Pit, an if'n ya have any other questions, let em rip, Brother!

I done asked alla th Stoopid ones, so nobody's gonna ridicule ya...

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Brother, there’s more than one way to skin a cat. Thank goodness you learned the other one.

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        This is what I would do, too. I cooked a couple of butts for a weekday lunch at my wife's office once. I shredded it first thing in the morning and held in the oven for about 6 hrs. It completely lost all of the smoke ring and took on a mushy texture that I didn't care for. Everybody else thought it was great. If I attempt that again, I'll wait until closer to meal time to pull it.
        Last edited by Steve R.; November 3, 2021, 08:53 AM.

Consider your audience. Kids won't really care what you did or how, as long as it tastes good to them. Do what is convenient. Cooking, chilling and reheating are fine for kids. Why? Kids only need 3 things taste wise: 1. fat, 2 sugar, 3. salt, in no particular order. Pulled pork has all three. Easy peasy. Trust Uncle Strat, there is no need to over think or worry, as they won't care as long as it hot, moist, and good. I raised 4, plus 4 grand kids, all with varying tastes,and have cooked dozens of kids functions and many hundreds of kids groups, so, I have a bit of knowledge here...

I hope this helps.
      Greetings from a damp and chilly Houston, Alaska

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Strat50 "Kids only need 3 things tastewise: 1. fat, 2 sugar, 3. salt,"
        But for us adults, it's Sugar, Fat, and Caffeine.

Ditto

Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated. I’ll send update after the event. And fyi it’s for faculty not kids. Harder but it’s free to then so I expect no complaints.

Comment

I’ve held both brisket and pork butt in a warm oven for 12+ hours. Both come out great. Be sure to wrap TIGHT.

It’s been my go to method for a few years when I want to serve lunch but also want to sleep!

Comment

• Dzeichick
          Dzeichick commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m back now talking brisket. So last week I made a brisket, once probe tender let it cool to about 160 then put in my gas bbq at about 150 degrees for about 15 hours. Wrapped in butcher paper Client said brisket was dry chewer. A few days ago did same thing for cook then when probe tender let cool to 150 then sealed in heat seal bag and refrigerated.gave to customer next day he put in oven 225 for 45 minutes and said part was like jerky and part dry. What’s best wait to hold brisket once done

• Santamarina
          Santamarina commented
          Editing a comment
          Dzeichick Reheating a whole brisket is outside of my experience. What’s worked for me is wrapping once the bark is set (typically 2 hours before brisket is probe tender for me). Wrap in pink butcher paper, then back in the pit until it’s done.

Once probe tender I wrap the whole thing (butcher paper still on) in aluminum foil VERY tight. Put in warm (170°F) oven inside until ready to serve. Every time I’ve done it this way it’s come out moist and tender.

• Santamarina
          Santamarina commented
          Editing a comment
          Also…I’ve only cooked Prime brisket. A lower grade may dry out more as there is less intramuscular fat.

No way I can add anything to what has already been said. Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

You've gotten the advice already. Welcome from Florida.

Comment

Warmed-up leftover pulled pork is just as good, for us.
            May want to try an overnighter. I done did smoked pork butt overnight in my Traeger, rested my butt, and pulled the next morning.
            I call this the JIT method -- "Just In Time"

Comment

I catch the drippings during the cook. Separate most of the fat from it and pour over separated meat.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                Welcome to the Pit!

I don’t know what you are cooking on, but if you can set it and forget I would cook overnight planning for it to be done by 8am or 10 am at the latest. In my estimation the Butt benefits from resting in an ice chest for two to four hours.

Comment

I've used a crock pot on the "warm" setting to hold pulled pork for many hours for serving at parties. And held in foil pans with lids in a warm oven as well. And I've held it shredded for many hours in a warm oven, dumping those into the crock pots on the table as folks depleted it.

The trick is that you don't want the food to be below 140F for more than 2 hours before the faculty eat the pulled pork.

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  well, she might want the pork under 140 for 3 or 4 hours, depending on how she feels about them.
                  Last edited by ecowper; November 3, 2021, 04:42 PM.

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ecowper HAHAHA... ROFL... I suppose she can let the dogs lick the pork too before she runs it over to the school.

Thanks to all. The pulled pork was a hit. Made in offset smoker. 10 hours, finished about 10 pm. Rested 2 hours until 165 degrees then put in my gas bbq at 155 and let it rest until 9:00 am. Pulled and made great sliders, about 100
                Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Damfine looking, barkalicious an juicy! 👏👊👍

YOU DA MAN, Brother!!!

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Perfect, congrats on the successful cook!

• crazytown3
                  crazytown3 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yessir that looks just fine. I will take a tray of those please.

Outstanding!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here