Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slicing Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slicing Bacon

There seems to be a significant amount of conflicting advice about how to properly slice bacon. I decided to do an experiment. I have done pork belly two out of the last three weeks. I bought 9 lb bellies both times. I cut them into thirds, using 3 different cures. I have to say Meathead 's maple really can't be beat. Thanks Meathead . I have done my share of belly with whiskey, jalapeños, sugar etc. Maple wins every time.

Anyhow, today I decided to put the slicing to the test. Some suggest you slice across the top and others along the side. What I found is that across the top, you get more of a Canadian Bacon texture, even though the fat appears more even. When I sliced against the side, I had meatier looking slices, but they broke apart much easier (like store bought) and they were not stringy at all. This may go against convention because many of the videos I have seen suggest otherwise.

I judged on my own, without telling my wife my opinion. She agreed with mine, for what it is worth.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5399.JPG Views:	5 Size:	6.37 MB ID:	1117866
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5400.JPG Views:	5 Size:	1.99 MB ID:	1117864

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5401.JPG Views:	6 Size:	3.91 MB ID:	1117865
    Last edited by tbob4; October 31, 2021, 07:32 PM.

I am gonna guess the longer pieces are from the side and they do look better for sure.

I have not read about slicing from the top for bacon as i would agree they would invite just a lot of fatty slices.
    Last edited by STEbbq; October 31, 2021, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Top slicing bacon means the terrorists win. Side slicing is the one true way.

Comment

Any experiment with home cured bacon is worth doing!
        I end up with short slices - I buy bellies from a butcher and they are very wide, so I split them length wise and end up with slices about 6-7 inches. Works perfect for BLT. (Side slicing always)

Comment

No matter how you slice it, bacon is good.

Comment

I agree MH maple syrup bacon out bacons all other's.
            Make a lot of bacon myself around 20# every second week.
            I slice both ways so 'suppose that makes me only 1/2 a terrorist rickgregory.
            Your observation is spot on comparing with my experience. The side it's sliced from does not make any difference in my use on burgers but more on the slice thickness.
            For personal use I slice slightly thicker and for use on my burgers it's almost shaving thin. The thinly sliced alows for a quick cook on the flattop and it looks like you getting a whole bunch more of the good stuff. It is also easier on the bite as there's no need to get the gnasher gnawing to prevent pulling a whole piece of bacon out of the burger.

Comment

Looks like a cut above to me.
              PBR Award.

Comment

BACON!

Comment

I just take huge bites out of the slab!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here