Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brine mistake help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brine mistake help!!!

Good morning all,
    I think I may have made a mistake when brining a couple of pork butts yesterday, but I also think it's probably ok and that I'm thinking too much about it.
    So I saw some recipe the other day for a brine and it called for a little bit of apple cider vinegar, or at least I thought I saw that. So I put in about 3/4 cup in my little over a gallon brine. When I pulled the pork shoulders out about 24 hours later, much of the meat was grey and I'm assuming that's from the vinegar kind of 'cooking' the meat. The grey part smelled a bit like vinegar as well. Is the meat going to be okay? I have them out smoking right now so we'll see in a few hours.

Thanks in advance

3/4 a cup in over a gallon of water? Yeah, no worries.

Plus with multiple butts? The meat going greyish is normal. Now is the time to add your rub for that color and bark!

Comment

• jitsntricks
      jitsntricks commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome. Thanks for the input

Should be ok. Texture on the outside might be a little soft, but if you do pulled pork it will all mix in and I doubt you'll notice it. In general, though, acid will 'cook' the meat so you want to limit how long meat is in an acidic marinade.

Comment

• jitsntricks
      jitsntricks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Yeah I was thinking the same thing but was at the same time was also thinking "I think acid helps tenderize meat" LOL. I'll leave it out next time.

Thanks!

You are fine. I do an overnight injection brine for my pork butts of: 1/4 cup each salt and sugar, put into a glass measuring cup, and then add a 50/50 blend of water and apple cider vinegar up to the 2 cup mark and dissolve. Much more concentrated than what you did. Meat looks grey from the injected brine oozing out but absolutely no problems when cooked.

Comment

• jitsntricks
      jitsntricks commented
      Editing a comment
      Great! Thank you!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here