Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wrap or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrap or not

I have a 9# butt and will to do this weekend on the SNS, reading the SNS site it says to wrap it and use meatheads receipt, I go to Meathead's recipe and he says don't wrap it. From what I have read, wrapping will kill the crunch but what about flavor? DW don't like the bark as she thinks it 's burnt and with me cooking it probably is so I'm thinking, wrap it. I guess the question is flavor?

What wood is favored, I have Apple, Cherry, Hickory, Mesquite, and Oak?

Any of the above, just wrap before it gets too dark. While it is brown, but not black.

Comment

• JohnF
      JohnF commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you.

Arguably a tastier butt and "more better" bark can be had not wrapping. But, when you're running a kettle with limited fuel, wrapping is more user friendly. Wait until after the stall when temps being rising again, often in the 180s, and you'll be in fine shape. For folks with SiFi cookers like pellet smokers, time is often a moot point since the machine does all the work and you can start the meat at bedtime for instance. The SnS is very easy to set and nearly forget, but it's not automated like some cookers.

For what it's worth I always wrap (after a few experiments not wrapping) and when wrapping AFTER the stall, and a several hr cambro hold, they are phenomenal. No loss of quality or flavor, at all.
    Last edited by Huskee; September 24, 2015, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Hmmm... The only time I warp is when I've failed to plan properly. John Wooden said "those that fail to plan - plan to fail."

I humbly believe that a low and slow (unwrapped) cook gives you a better bark and tastier food. I could be wrong but I don't think so.😁

I plan to give butts and briskets a 2 hours cambro rest after I reach the desired IT temp.

Most butts and briskets cooked at 225° degrees take about 16 hours.

I always plan butts and briskets as an 18 hour project. Some cook a little faster and get more cambro time. Some cook a little slow and get less cambro time but... I know exactly when I'm going to serve that meal. I build in leeway for both scenarios.😎

Smoking... Is all about low and slow! If you have to turn up the temp or wrap your meat, you've failed to plan properly in my humble opinion.

I'm just sayin.😎

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        That's exactly how I plan for company. Mine don't cook quite that long at 225 with an internal temp of 200. I put it on the night before and the cambro will hold them for hours. What are you cooking on?

For what it's worth I always wrap the pork butts and I don't consider it as a fail plan as it is in my plan to wrap. Different strokes for different folks...just saying 😊

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Like Meathead says... There ain't no rules in the kitchen or bedroom.

We all have our own way of doing things. That's what makes the Pit so valuable and fun.

Some of are wrappers and some of don't wrap but We all make good BBQ.👍

Thanks Huskee and DW thanks for the input. well see how it turns out.

Comment

That was a Definate Yes or No ? Maybe! Head Scratcher, Confusing this old Plowboy! I think I will just keep practicing, Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Danjohnston949 View Post
          That was a Definate Yes or No ? Maybe! Head Scratcher, Confusing this old Plowboy! I think I will just keep practicing, Dan
          I think what we're seeing here is that, like DWCowles said, "Different strokes for different folks."

However, JohnF was asking about preparing a pork butt on his kettle with SnS. With a ~8-10hr charcoal life on one basket, my advice is to wrap to save some time and fuel. Obviously great pulled pork can be made not wrapping, but you pay with extra cook time.

On my kettle, with ~3-5lb butts, I average 7 or 8 hrs until they are past the stall and into the 180 range. Then wrap, and another two hours until cambro ready. It's more in how you want the cook to progress than in end quality. If you can budget 12, 14, 16, 18hrs to cook, and especially if you have a high-humidity cooker like a ceramic kamado, then by all means go unwrapped. But if a person crutches at the right time, (I prefer and preach after the stall, not at the start of the stall as is common), then your finished product will still be amazing. It's not a lack of planning, it's a different method of planning.
          Last edited by Huskee; September 25, 2015, 07:05 AM.

Comment

• JohnF
            JohnF commented
            Editing a comment
            Geez more confusion, I thought wrapping was a crutch to get through the stall, if you get through the stall and the end is near why wrap after the stall, Moisture?

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            JohnF it saves time, and yes, it collects juices (and flavor) to add back to the meat when pulling. After the stall allows a nice solid bark to be developed so the mushyness commonly associated with wrapping isn't really there. Like Jerod said somewhere, after unwrapping the bark firms back up pretty good.

• JohnF
            JohnF commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, 2 shoulders on the SNS now, started the fire at 5:50 am, well see how it goes.

Last time I did a butt... instead of wrapping, I used one of those oven bags, when the time was right.

I didn't notice any difference between that thing and wrapping... was easier to contain the juice though, heh heh

Click image for larger version

Name:	ReynoldsOvenBagsBox.ForSite.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	111904

Comment

• Danjohnston949
            Danjohnston949 commented
            Editing a comment
            smarkley, I have just come to the conclusion that You are Smarter than I am! I am going to try them, Dan

I wrap, but on butts and ribs I've taken to wrapping "dry." I especially like the taste of the ribs. The smoke doesn't wash off in the "flavorful" liquid added to the wrap process. I've not made the jump with brisket -- still add a beef broth to the wrap. You might try butcher paper instead of foil as well. Butcher paper is like almost wrapped!

Comment

• Danjohnston949
            Danjohnston949 commented
            Editing a comment
            Where do you find Butcher Paper that doen't Have a wax coating at least on one side? Thanks, Dan

• HorseDoctor
            HorseDoctor commented
            Editing a comment
            Do a search for butcher paper, or even pink butcher paper. Amazon for one, will have a lot of options.

• Danjohnston949
            Danjohnston949 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks HorseDoctor

You know what smarkley your a smart guy, that is a good idea and save some aggravation and time trying to wrap a BHOM around the probe when you have two or three of them thank for the idea!!!

Comment

Here we are at 6:45 and 178* standing by to wrap at 180

Comment

Originally posted by JohnF View Post
              Here we are at 6:45 and 178* standing by to wrap at 180

Now that is what I call STICKING to the plan.

Or, you could just scrap that bark off, mail it to me, and make some more.

Comment

Wrapped at 6:53, I had a slow start playing ping pong temps trying to maintain 225, I let it go and found it would and did run at 230 for 4 hrs. so it will probably take a bit longer than planned.

Question, I placed a clean pan under the cook and have collected all the runoff, Should a portion of that be mixed back in after the pull?
                Last edited by JohnF; September 27, 2015, 02:47 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Comment

• JohnF
                  JohnF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you!

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You may find enough juice in the foil after your cambro hold (the longer the better by the way with pork butt). But always save the jus in case you need it.

• Jerod Broussard
                  Jerod Broussard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ditto, my last two butts cooked the whole way without wrapping, wrapped to hold until we could eat, no liquid added, and they had plenty au jus when I went to pull.

JohnF, I believe I would depending on how moist your pork is when you pull it. It looks Great we will all be over to sample! Dan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here