Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of wood w/ pork chops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What type of wood w/ pork chops?

In the recipe for "Kermit's Second Favorite Pork Chop" it doesn't specify which type of wood to use for smoke. My instinct is that apple or cherry would be good and that hickory would be too overpowering. Anyone have any experience/advice?

Thanks,
    Pete

Apple or cherry, although I have never had a problem with hickory and pork.

I rarely smoke my chops, I typically go with a marinade (1:1 BBQ sauce and Italian Dressing). Since I rarely have anything over 1" thick.

Comment

Apple is wonderful on anything, even beef (bring on the hate, but it's true). I like to use ash on pork chops, it's my favorite along with apple. Honestly I've never used any wood that I didn't like on pork. I recently made pork butts and ribs with straight oak logs, was wonderful. Chicken on the other hand, there are some woods I don't care for on my chicken.

Comment

Luv Cherry on pork, I have had some ruff sawn cherry boards that were not usable for lumber and smell awesome when burning.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          My Kid Sister gave me some Cherry wood from a tree they had removed, I used it on Pork as well, Absolutely Delicious! Dan

Chops (even thick ones) won't be on the grill very long, so it's one of the things I do use hickory on. Steak & burgers fall into same category. On the other hand, ya can't go wrong with apple either. Only thing you can do wrong is overcook chops! 135-140 suits me just fine! Hasn't been any trichina in commercial pork in the past 50 years or better. Feral hog or bear meat, now that might be a different story.

Comment

apple for me...although I'd consider pecan if I wanted a light hickory flavor...

Comment

Last spring CandySue did a video with Meathead. She suggested Cherry & Pecan for us pelletheads. I've tried the combination several times. IMO it's a good flavor to pork and chicken.

Comment

Thanks, everyone!

Comment

Pork chops (a quick grill), I'm a fan of mulberry (pellets naturally).

Comment

Any fruit or nut wood is good oak or maybe olive but than again hickory could work. Hope I help straiten out this subject

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here