Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rib emergency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard Chrz
    replied
    I’m in the toss them camp. Likely no harm will come, but. Why risk health over a silly rack of ribs,

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    replied
    Now let's think this through, I'm through, thru and thru.
    Last edited by bbqLuv; October 26, 2021, 09:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    commented on 's reply
    Ditto

• smokyYank
    replied
    All good stuff. Some of my research said you could not smell or taste the toxins, so I think erring on the safe side is always good. See, if I died from eating them, you would never have known!

Leave a comment:

• tbob4
    commented on 's reply
    I started an answer saying "toss" then realized you had them in foil and could not have gone more than an hour without chips because of your method. Given that, I would keep them and reheat uncovered in the smoker. My wife might answer otherwise.

• wu7y
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah. But aren't you a repairman for some of us who chose wrong????😀

For a time I was a repairman for some who survived.

• Dr. Pepper
    replied
    Nah, I'm in the 'Don't ask for permission, ask for forgiveness' group.

Leave a comment:

• Caffeine88
    commented on 's reply
    HawkerXP and even odds which voice wins!

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    Right next to saying "Hold my beer. Watch this."

• wu7y
    replied
    One of my more important "rules of life" is:

If I have to ask myself, "Gee, should I really be doing this", the answer, at least the safe one is just about always no. But that's just me.

Leave a comment:

• STEbbq
    commented on 's reply
    Since at max they were left not cooking for less than 2 hours, I think you are okay to eat especially since the smoker temp did not fall to zero immediately. The fact that you wrapped would also preserve temps somewhat. I would cook to finish and add sauce.

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    Ribs is relatively 'cheap'

Hospital bills is NOT...

Leave a comment:

• smokyYank
    replied
    OK, here's what I found.

While heat will kill the bacteria, the staph bacterium may have made toxins which will not be killed off with heat.

Thank you again.

Leave a comment:

• smokyYank
    replied
    Thanks, guys. All interesting info.

I could easily toss them, and perhaps I will. At the same time, I think this is a great learning experience.

Thank Meathead for suggesting a cook log. I just checked. They went in, from fridge to smoker at 220F at 12:45. Not quite 3 hours later (15:30) I foil wrapped and put them back in. Somewhere between then and 17:15 (when I checked back) the fire went out.

Does info this help? For learning purposes.

Leave a comment:

• shify
    replied
    I think what everyone was focused on was the line about "everything had cooled down."

Re-reading it, I think you are saying sometime in the middle of the 2 hours wrapped part of the cook, the cooker shut down and didn't continue cooking. So you have at most 2 hours of no heat being applied.

Assuming the meat was still warm and was cooked thoroughly when you went to wrap it, I think you are fine continuing to cook it through. Have no idea what a par-cook and then refrigerate and continue to cook will do as far as taste/texture though but it can't hurt to try.

To the extent the ribs cooled down enough to bring it into the danger zone, that's a different story and I'd toss them... same thing if I wasn't certain that they were cooked through. If its a guessing game I wouldn't risk it for a rack of ribs

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here