Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulling off that darn membrane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh man the first time I did ribs, i was trying to pull that thicker membrane off for about 10min. Was driving me nuts until I realized.........i was doing it wrong!

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here, lol.

I think the elephant in the room regarding rib membranes has finally been mentioned with this post. We all struggle with it from time to time but we don't mention it much.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup! I may not have done 500 or 600 in the past few years but either cooking or at "work" I've been dissecting tissue one way or another for close to 50 years now. Ya learn some tricks & techniques that help but some are tough & some are a piece of cake. Lots of reasons that the membrane (parietal pleura) comes of easy or not. Another thing to consider is that there are some really good "BBQ"ers that don't think it makes a nickels worth of difference whether you remove it or not.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      HorseDoctor I didn't dare mention parietal pleura, since many here would have to Google it.... good to see someone else using the medical terms! I always remove the parietal pleura when smokeing my porcine costals, I think it helps make more tender and delicious intercostals on my plate! If you don't, how will the smoke and sodium chloride get into the muscle fibers on the medial side?

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      Gents your ilisitation is too copreous for this old ditch diggers comprehension please repeat more susinctly! A couple of F Bombs might make it all clear? Dan

Well, the New Orleans Saints are playing today! Therefore, I prepared some #WhoDatRibs last night. And got my middle daughter to play camerawoman. Membrane pulls took 22 seconds and 15 seconds, by my count.

The funniest thing it that I called you Jeremy, Jerod Broussard!!! My neighbor down the street is Jeremy, and I was just talking BBQ with him earlier...otherwise my only excuse would be that I'm an idiot.

Enjoy!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sHjCD4QiNqc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Let me give you a short run down of what people have called "Jerod" pronounced "jeh-red or "Jeh-rud"

1. Jerritt, cousin of mine from Basile, La
      2. Jerry, freshman year basketball coach, which led someone to say, "Jerry Jerry sing like a Canary"
      3. Jarrod, neighbor and his wife
      4. Jedadiah, lady who works part time at work with us
      5. Jeremy, lady on night shift that works at the plant
      Last edited by Jerod Broussard; September 27, 2015, 07:09 AM.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Paul mentioned me, Paul mentioned me! Lol. But it was actually Jerod who suggested a video, I can't take credit.

• Draugo26
      Draugo26 commented
      Editing a comment
      Great video, thanks!

Nice video, PaulstheRibList !

Comment

PaulstheRibList great video, man that was sweet!!!

Comment

I could not pull it off on my first ribs that were from Costco. The next few sets were from the local Wegmans and they were easy. Any possibility that the ones from Costco had it already removed? That's what I told myself when the next sets were so easy, but reading this thread I'm rethinking that. :-)

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I wouldn't think any places would remove them. Were they in the foam tray with shrink wrap, like how steaks come, or were they cryovaced?

• Butterman
          Butterman commented
          Editing a comment
          They were cryovaced, three racks together.

• DrCJ
          DrCJ commented
          Editing a comment
          The ribs I was referring to above were from Costco. Definitely had the membrane removed.

Thanks for the vid, Paul... awesome!

Ummm... I subscribed... so you need to do more Vids now
        Last edited by smarkley; September 27, 2015, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here