Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Coppa Steaks - How To Cook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Coppa Steaks - How To Cook?

Hey Everyone,

I recently bought some pork Coppa Steaks from Wild Fork Foods and am wondering if anyone has ever cooked this cut before?

Mostly interested in the best way to cook them tender?

Do they do best with a reverse sear like a steak and pull them off around 130 or do they need to go higher to be tender?

I have a camp chef pellet grill with the sear box and a sous vide as well if they do well that way.

Any advice is appreciated, have found lots of marinades/recipes for them just not sure the best way to cook and what temp to pull them off at!
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; October 21, 2021, 11:29 AM. Reason: Prok to Pork in title

Did you get the thin cut or thick cut?

Thin can be grilled hot and fast St. Louis style.

thick cut you may need to smoke low and slow, SV, or braise to get them tender.

Comment

@maverick300 are you a regular Wild Fork Foods customer? I'd like to hear your thoughts on their products & service.

Comment

• mavrick300
      mavrick300 commented
      Editing a comment
      This is my 3rd or 4th order from them! So far I have not found anything I don't like! The prices are really good considering the quality you are getting and the fact that most of the stuff is individual vacuum sealed and frozen! Plus their prices on chicken is absolutely amazing and the frozen packs are very convenient for me! With this last order I have tried some fish and duck as well to see how they do there. So far I have had several steaks, ribs and their chicken and have been impressed!

• efincoop
      efincoop commented
      Editing a comment
      Great to know. Thanks for the feedback. Next we need to get Huskee to get us a Pit Discount!

Beautiful pieces of meat! I see from the link that they are also Berkshire. That might change how you cook them a bit.

Comment

• mavrick300
      mavrick300 commented
      Editing a comment
      They are! Come in a great tray that you can fill with water and help defrost quickly too! I just cooked a rack of berkshire spare ribs over the weekend and holy crap the flavor is wayyyyyy better then other porks I have had. I ordered a berkshire loin as well excited to try that too.

Not sure what coppa means but they look like regular old pork steaks cut from a Berkshire pork butt. I order them from Porter Road every so often, good stuff !! I cook them like you would country ribs, low and slow until I get good color then wrap them in foil with some butter and brown sugar to tenderize. Takes 5-6 hours or so and they turn out delicious !!

Click image for larger version

Name:	pork steak 01.jpg
Views:	1484
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	1112539 Click image for larger version

Name:	pork steak 02.jpg
Views:	1469
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	1112540 Click image for larger version

Name:	pork steak 03.jpg
Views:	1473
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	1112538 Click image for larger version

Name:	pork steak 05.jpg
Views:	1505
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	1112537

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Funny, I cook them hot and fast like a beef steak. Serve medrare

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      But if places can give them a "craft" name, they can charge more.

OK learn something new every day. The coppa is the muscle group that appears to be like the spinalis is to the ribeye, it's the choicest of cuts of the pork shoulder...

"The "coppa" is a collection of muscles that is an extension of the loin that runs through the pork shoulder. When butchered, it has a barrel shape and is best suited for charcuterie or slow roasting. Being in the shoulder, it has a lot of fat, and it is a muscle that gets used a lot, resulting in more flavor."

Well thank you for posting that bit of informative bit of news there Troutman !! Why you are quit welcome Troutman!!!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Brother!

Googled it. I grilled them before when I had a gasser, I think. "Coppa"?
    Pork Coppa Steaks - Oregon Valley Farm
    Pork Coppa steaks come from the top side of the shoulder. It might look like a pork chop but it is actually a boneless shoulder steak. This cut has a lot of intramuscular fat, or "marbling," which makes it a great one for hot-and-fast grilling leaving it juicy and full of flavor.
    Last edited by bbqLuv; October 20, 2021, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Snake River Farms has a few good recipes using pork collar.
      Pork Collar is a tender cut of well-marbled pork with amazing flavor. Perfect for a delicious citrus marinade and roasted on the grill.

Kurobuta pork collar's flavorful marbling makes it perfect for this Chinese-inspired classic roast pork recipe.

Mexican spice-rubbed pork shoulder, smoked until it’s falling apart tender then served on corn tortillas with pickled red onions and queso fresco.

Comment

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        Trend lemmings like to rename things that most of us have known about for ages.

Thanks everyone! I think I am going to reverse sear them on my pellet grill! Will report back after I cook them I checked with WFF and they advised to cook it to 135 as well!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here