Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilled Pork Chops: Harissa Marinade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilled Pork Chops: Harissa Marinade

This is what I cooked last night. Along with the pork chops, we had pearled cous cous (out of a box) and French style sautéed green beans (sautéed in butter with diced shallot and garlic, threw in some diced bacon for fun).

It's a really good recipe. The only major change I made is that I went with a reverse sear, not a direct cook. I only used two SRF Kurobuta chops, not a whole pork loin roast.

I made my own harissa, riffing off of @Meathead's harissa recipe (I used Chile de Arbol in place of the Ancho's and did not add any chipotle or jalapeño). It's brilliantly spicy and flavorful and worked really well in this recipe.

This recipe showcases the versatility of our Kurobuta pork. The key flavor component is harissa, a spicy and aromatic chile paste.

Marinade - combine all ingredients in a bowl, transfer to ziplock bag
    • 3/4 cup harissa paste
    • 2 garlic cloves, smashed
    • 1 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt
    • 1 teaspoon fresh dill, chopped
    • 2 tablespoons olive oil
    • Juice of 1/2 lemon
    Tzatziki - combine all ingredients in a bowl one hour (or more) prior to serving
    • 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
    • 1 teaspoon fresh dill, chopped
    • 1/4 cup cucumber, grated
    • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
    • Juice of 1/2 lemon
    Pork chops - Do this 45 minutes to cooking, then grill as desired
    • Generously salt and pepper the pork chops and add to the marinade, shaking the bag until all chops are evenly coated. Let the chops marinade 45 minutes before grilling.
    • Heat grill to medium high and grill chops about 6 minutes per side or until internal temperature reaches 140 degrees.
    • Pull from heat and let chops rest 5-10 minutes. Top with tzatziki and serve.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	SRF-Harissa-Chops - 1.jpeg Views:	119 Size:	69.7 KB ID:	1108768
    Click image for larger version  Name:	SRF-Harissa-Chops - 2.jpeg Views:	121 Size:	48.4 KB ID:	1108767
    Click image for larger version  Name:	SRF-Harissa-Chops - 3.jpeg Views:	128 Size:	45.1 KB ID:	1108766
    Last edited by ecowper; October 18, 2021, 07:07 PM.

Wow. After my divorce is final can I just move in with you? Park the bus in your driveway?

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      We didn't used to eat like this on weeknights. We had kids, my wife and I both went to offices to work. Then things changed over the last couple years. Kids grew up and left home. I transitioned to a job where I work in my home office about 90% of the time. And how we eat on weeknights changed, too. The bad part is now those Sunday dinners don't feel as special LOL

Come on over!

Thanks for posting this. My wife has just about every spice known to man, but I don't think she's made harissa yet. It's excellent, and I love the idea of trying it on pork chops. We're definitely doing this one.

Comment

• Caffeine88
      Caffeine88 commented
      Editing a comment
      🤣🤣 True! What next, berbere bacon?

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol good one

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I've made beef tikka masala before.

K.

Going to do this for sure!

Comment

Nice dinner. I have all the stuff to exactly copy this tonight, if I sous vide the chops from frozen. Thanks!

Kathryn

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Very welcome .... hope you like it as much as we did!

Man that looks good.

Comment

Thanks for posting this recipe. I just made it for dinner tonight. The chops were very tasty. My wife made some amaranth polenta (using amaranth from Rancho Gordo) and fresh green beans with cranberries and truffle honey. Everything was delicious, and it was one of those meals where everything just really went together. (That's parsley/herb infused oil in the honey bear for the polenta )
        ​​​​​​
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211017_203317.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1111591

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks perfect!!!

A great cook and a spot on recipe! I haven't yet tried harissa with pork, but now I will. I might add a bit of sumac for some complexity too. Cous cous, sounds good here. Mint, parsley and cilantro. Yummm...

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          With Cous Cous would be very good.

That looks spectacularly delicious!

Comment

This sounds pretty great, I’m not a pork chop fan,but, this harissa paste sounds awesome. I think I need to pick up or, get the ingredients and make one. I wish I had it already, I may stop at grocery store tomorrow to see if I can make this. I have the chops already out, and just hoping to find something to make them better. My wife loves them, to me, meh. fzxdoc any tips on the SV, mine are already thawed likely.
          Last edited by Richard Chrz; October 18, 2021, 06:36 PM.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Also, consider higher end than grocery store, if you can.

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for the wet brine, I will do that for 24 hours. These chops game from a pretty decent butcher shop. I’ve had them in my freezer for awhile though.

• Backroadmeats
            Backroadmeats commented
            Editing a comment
            Not a pork chop fan??? You need to get a comparts pig from me .. there is a huge difference in my opinion..

Hey, I just got a couple of chops from Porter Road! This is the way I will go with them.

Comment

Actually, Richard Chrz , I reverse seared them on my gasser without the final hard sear.

They were restaurant-grade heritage boneless pork chops purchased from a local high-end restaurant supplier.

I reserved about 1/4 cup of the marinade and was glad I did, because I ended up using it.

After about a 20 minute gasser heat up with half of the 6 burners on high, (400° on the dial thermometer), I put the chops on the "cool" side for 15 minutes. Grill Grates, flat side up. They immediately sizzled and by the time I was ready to flip them at the 15 minute mark, they were nicely browned but had lost almost all of the marinade.

So after flipping them and moving them just adjacent the hottest end of the grill, I added a generous tablespoon of the reserved marinade to the top of each chop while they cooked the remaining 5 minutes to bring them to 140°. Usually I take pork chops off at 135° and let carryover get them to 140°, but time got away from me. Even so, they were so juicy and tender that neither my husband or I could believe the were pork. But pork they were. Very tasty pork at that.

So I ended up not hard searing them but soft searing instead.

Thanks a bunch, Eric, ecowper , for the inspiration. BTW, the link in your OP is broken. Here's the link that works:

https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/reci...with-tzatziki/

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; October 18, 2021, 06:04 PM.

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Kathryn! I updated the OP

Looks incredible! Will have to give it a try.

Comment

This one looks so good that I have an okay from the wife to do pork chops for the first time in at least ten years.

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                That’s awesome to hear! I have converted my wife to pork chops, but it took a lot of work.

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Ditto for my husband, ecowper . He didn't eat pork until he married me. He still won't eat ham, but he loves ribs and chops.

Kathryn

• Draznnl
                Draznnl commented
                Editing a comment
                Your husband sounds familiar, fzxdoc. I never ate pork growing up. Even today, you couldn’t get me to eat ham on a bet. My wife’s a different story. She’s just very picky. She’d be happy with pasta, shrimp, and/or sausage every night.

This looks good I bought some harissa spice this week and I am going to give this a try.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here