Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long cooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tbob4
    commented on 's reply
    Come on Mr. Bones . I was sure you were an American Thermal Unit kind of guy.

• FireMan
    commented on 's reply
    Did we give enough of it? 😎

• Ronaldf123
    replied
    Thanks for all your advice. Once things settle down I will give it a try

Leave a comment:

• Bruceski44
    replied
    I have used my gas grill to finish frequently. Depending on the grill, it may take some tweaking to get a nice, low, even temperature. Turning on only the outer burners as low as they can go is a good start. If it's real windy, the flame may go out, which gets dangerous if too much gas accumulates without burning, so you may need to seal or shield the grill to keep the wind out. I've also added bricks inside the grill to increase the thermal mass and put the meat on a pizza stone or fire brick base to spread the heat. The heat inside the grill will be stratified vertically so the grill level is 50 degrees or so cooler than the lid temperature. The oven may be the simplest approach, but even some of them don't go low enough. In the oven, I'd definitely use the convection fan if available.

Leave a comment:

• JGrana
    replied
    As a fellow KBQ brother, I can empathize with the long cook tending. For things like ribs or chicken, no problem. For brisket, pork butt or beef ribs (or wibs so FireMan doesn't correct me) - yes, tending does take effort and more wood. Especially up North here where the days are getting chilly - and the KBQ eats more wood.

My latest method for long cooks - KBQ until good bark (or Im getting tired) then on to a BGE with a Fireboard keeping temps in line). Still get that great, tasty KBQ smoke taste but let it spend the next 4-6 hours in the Egg - and I can relax for a while. Not much charcoal burn when your running the BGW low and slow.
    Only downside - the BGE only has so much cooking area. By the time I move to the Egg, my last few briskets shrunk enough to fit just fine.

Its a great combo! KBQBGE(tm).

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Yup, Man's got er nailed.^

PSA, Naps Are Our Friend!
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 9, 2021, 03:01 PM. Reason: a vs A

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    ...are BTUs
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 9, 2021, 03:03 PM.

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Agreed, Amigo. IMCE, proteins are blissfully unaware as to th source of British Thermal Units they are encounterin, at any given moment.
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 18, 2021, 01:56 PM.

• Santamarina
    replied
    Once you wrap forget a bout the gasser, just stick it in the oven inside and go take a nap!

Leave a comment:

• Hulagn1971
    replied
    I've finished my share of pork butts in the oven. Easy regulated heat. I probably wouldn't use my gasser though due to the expense of the propane.

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    replied
    Who cares if ya fall asleep! What are ya gonna do, take a 12 hr nap? Trust a little on yerself.

Leave a comment:

• DogFaced PonySoldier
    commented on 's reply
    Or the oven works. But yeah, no reason you HAVE to babysit it.

• Ronaldf123
    replied
    So after the bark is set in KBQ I should wrap and then put in gasser?

Leave a comment:

• smokin fool
    replied
    That’s how I do my briskets, 6 hours or so on the smoker and 4-6 hours in the oven at 250.
    No one leaves the table

Leave a comment:

• DogFaced PonySoldier
    replied
    Harry Soo often moves briskets to the indoor oven when he wraps them.

Perfectly fine, obviously Harry knows what brisket should taste like - for both competition and for home cooking.

Once your wrap, or arguably once you get your bark set, your brisket absolutely no longer has to be in an outdoor cooker or smoker.

<edit> Just remembered, one of Harry's oft-repeated mantras is "BTUs are BTUs are BTUs."

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here