Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long cooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long cooks

I have never tried a long cook like a brisket or pork butt, nervous about having the time to tend the fire or falling asleep and letting the fire go out and wasting a lot of money. My question is this. I have a KBQ. Can I start the meat out in the KBQ and then move to a gas grill to finish? What are your suggestions on time in KBQ, or what to look for before I move to gasser. What temp do you think would work while in gasser? Would I need to return it to the KBQ again at the end to finish, or would I just wrap and hold? Thanks

Originally posted by Ronaldf123 View Post
    I have never tried a long cook like a brisket or pork butt, nervous about having the time to tend the fire or falling asleep and letting the fire go out and wasting a lot of money. My question is this. I have a KBQ. Can I start the meat out in the KBQ and then move to a gas grill to finish? What are your suggestions on time in KBQ, or what to look for before I move to gasser. What temp do you think would work while in gasser? Would I need to return it to the KBQ again at the end to finish, or would I just wrap and hold? Thanks
    I'm not a KBQ owner but I'm pretty sure I've done something very similar in my world. Once the smoke is on and you're just applying heat long enough to cook the meat until it's done, you can easily move it to another heat source ... even your kitchen oven. After all, as "they" (looks over shoulder) say, "heat is heat".

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed, Amigo. IMCE, proteins are blissfully unaware as to th source of British Thermal Units they are encounterin, at any given moment.
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 18, 2021, 01:56 PM.

You could cook the meat to your desired level of smokiness and finish it in your oven. Jim Minion contends that meat quits taking on smoke at an internal temp of 140.
    Last edited by LA Pork Butt; October 9, 2021, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Harry Soo often moves briskets to the indoor oven when he wraps them.

Perfectly fine, obviously Harry knows what brisket should taste like - for both competition and for home cooking.

Once your wrap, or arguably once you get your bark set, your brisket absolutely no longer has to be in an outdoor cooker or smoker.

<edit> Just remembered, one of Harry's oft-repeated mantras is "BTUs are BTUs are BTUs."

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        ...are BTUs
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 9, 2021, 03:03 PM.

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Come on Mr. Bones . I was sure you were an American Thermal Unit kind of guy.

That’s how I do my briskets, 6 hours or so on the smoker and 4-6 hours in the oven at 250.
      No one leaves the table

Comment

So after the bark is set in KBQ I should wrap and then put in gasser?

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
          DogFaced PonySoldier commented
          Editing a comment
          Or the oven works. But yeah, no reason you HAVE to babysit it.

Who cares if ya fall asleep! What are ya gonna do, take a 12 hr nap? Trust a little on yerself.

Comment

I've finished my share of pork butts in the oven. Easy regulated heat. I probably wouldn't use my gasser though due to the expense of the propane.

Comment

Once you wrap forget a bout the gasser, just stick it in the oven inside and go take a nap!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup, Man's got er nailed.^

PSA, Naps Are Our Friend!
              Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 9, 2021, 03:01 PM. Reason: a vs A

As a fellow KBQ brother, I can empathize with the long cook tending. For things like ribs or chicken, no problem. For brisket, pork butt or beef ribs (or wibs so FireMan doesn't correct me) - yes, tending does take effort and more wood. Especially up North here where the days are getting chilly - and the KBQ eats more wood.

My latest method for long cooks - KBQ until good bark (or Im getting tired) then on to a BGE with a Fireboard keeping temps in line). Still get that great, tasty KBQ smoke taste but let it spend the next 4-6 hours in the Egg - and I can relax for a while. Not much charcoal burn when your running the BGW low and slow.
            Only downside - the BGE only has so much cooking area. By the time I move to the Egg, my last few briskets shrunk enough to fit just fine.

Its a great combo! KBQBGE(tm).

Comment

I have used my gas grill to finish frequently. Depending on the grill, it may take some tweaking to get a nice, low, even temperature. Turning on only the outer burners as low as they can go is a good start. If it's real windy, the flame may go out, which gets dangerous if too much gas accumulates without burning, so you may need to seal or shield the grill to keep the wind out. I've also added bricks inside the grill to increase the thermal mass and put the meat on a pizza stone or fire brick base to spread the heat. The heat inside the grill will be stratified vertically so the grill level is 50 degrees or so cooler than the lid temperature. The oven may be the simplest approach, but even some of them don't go low enough. In the oven, I'd definitely use the convection fan if available.

Comment

Thanks for all your advice. Once things settle down I will give it a try

Comment

• FireMan
                  FireMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Did we give enough of it? 😎

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here