Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon dilemma of Epic Perportions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon dilemma of Epic Perportions!

Yup, the end is nigh, the dam broke, the sky has fallen, ol’ tweety is almost muffled, the Yanks lost (yes they did thank the heavens, now if only the Dodgers could join them, but that’s another story).
    There is a minimum 50% increase in cost of bacon and there is a Shortage! Pretty soon we be in trouble if we aren’t there already.

Time to become experts in the thing of beauty called pork belly.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I'm planning a trip to the UF meat market Friday, so I'll pick up some of their terrific stuff to help hold me over.

Comment

Time to bust out the Almost Bacon.

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          ofelles and bbqLuv Why the hate?
          Y’all better know I was totally making a joke about this. I’m a meat and meat kinda guy. I rarely even eat potatoes more or less veggies.

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          Steve B I left off the 😁
          that's why I didn't tag Huskee

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          No worries ofelles I didn’t really thought you wanted me banned. At least not for this post anyway. 😁😂

As I Giants fan, I love your post... as a bacon fan, not so much

Comment

Also, I don't know where these prices come from... but wife got some select t-bones at wally world... 15.95 a lb!!!!! I would never have bought them at that price, but I was home watching football. She said a 2 pack of crap ribeyes was 80 bucks! Looks like it's time to start finding unique cuts to cook.

Shoppers Say These 4 Grocery Items Are Skyrocketing in Price Right Now | Eat This Not That
          Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; October 7, 2021, 05:50 AM.

Comment

Well I feel pretty fortunate having 8 12oz packs of bacon that I paid around $3.50 each for recently at Walmart. I do have a few neighbors that I share with, after cooking it on my Blackstone.

Comment

I have not heard of any shortage I just order 250 lbs of comparts pork bellies for 3.15 a pound. Meat supplier said they have plenty of supply.

Comment

I heard about this and noticed prices were up at my local store. Pork bellies at my local store are $3.64. Actually down slightly from earlier this year. I bought a few and also offered my staff at work: buy a pork belly, bring it to me, and I'll turn it into bacon for you at no additional charge.

Comment

Funny, I found some pretty nice ribeye steaks for $5.99/lb yesterday at our local grocer. They had what they call a "Meat Bonanza" last weekend where they get a bunch of ungraded meat, mostly primal cuts of beef and pork, and sell at a very affordable price. I'll hit one occasionally and have picked through the pile and found some very nice hunks of meat. My guess is that the butcher cut these steaks from a remaining rib roast and priced them to sell. I grabbed a couple and would have bought more if not for expecting our 1/2 beef to be ready this week. It just felt like Karma was telling me not to be a hoarder and there's lots of folks out there who could use that kind of a bargain more than me. What was really funny was when I went to checkout my few items, including the 2 packs of steaks. it was like $18 bucks. The clerk did a double take and had to look at the meat price to see if that was correct. I just smiled and shrugged and said I was just as surprised. He gave me a look that said he couldn't wait for his break to go snag some!!

Comment

• smokenoob
                    smokenoob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Around here we would call that a meat jubilee! Score!

Unfortunately bacon is just the beginning I am afraid.

Comment

I haven't seen major price hikes. I buy a fair amount from local farm about .5 miles away. Their price has always been a bit higher. Not extraordinary. I don't mind paying a bit more to supplement local and I literally can go to the farm and meet the cattle, pet them and tell them I'll only cook them to medium rare. Kidding, but they're out grazing. Slow down at times and say that's a good looking steer. As far as stores, yea $ creeping up so I'll be on the lookout 👀.

Comment

• USMCCrashCrew89
                      USMCCrashCrew89 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I’m glad I’m not the only one who likes to drive by and wave at my future pork chops.

I usually find really good deals at the petting zoo.
                    Last edited by Panhead John; October 6, 2021, 07:33 PM.

Comment

• RichieB
                      RichieB commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Now that's funny.

• North Carolina Mike
                      North Carolina Mike commented
                      Editing a comment
                      And them animals have been massaged and pampered like them fancy Japanese cows are.

• Andrrr
                      Andrrr commented
                      Editing a comment
                      A1 American Waygu Zoo beef

I'll survive

Comment

• FireMan
                      FireMan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oh suuurrre!

Now, ya know, I searched around fer Pork Discushun & coldn’t find a lick. I wuz tryin to do the right thang & one of them modyrators come along & juss shove this post where it belongs, well almost.
                    Bless those modyrators big Ol hearts! 🥰
                    Mebbee I wuz lookin fer bacon discushun.

Comment

• Andrrr
                      Andrrr commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well if it makes you feel any better I'll be stopping by Costco tomorrow to buy a belly or two, all because you reminded me that bacon is expensive now. Though I'd have to think that all the bellies will be expensive regardless of curing status.

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah we don't have "Bacon" as its own channel...yet... so it's Pork for the time being. But it's definitely not *Non-Food*, now is it?

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here