Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Injection using phosphate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Injection using phosphate

Want to inject Butt with Apple juice along with butcher bbq phosphate. Has anyone tried this,and if so what mixing ratio did you use?

Gracia

I don't use the stuff, but welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Seen that on youtube,
      Hello From NW Oregon

Comment

I have only used Butcher BQ phosphate with brisket. I have never worried about butts. The instructions I have says for injections to use 1/4 cup phosphate per 2 cups water. I have usually used beef broth in place of the water.

Comment

I usually make my own pork injection when I inject butts. However, I have seen the Butcher BBQ Pork injection mixed with apple juice and it came out pretty good. I took a class with Heath Riles and I am pretty sure he used apple juice with his pork injection, I will have to look at my notes to be sure.

Comment

I try not to use much when injecting a pork butt, or any other meat. For BBQ, I find that less is more, but I'm not into competition BBQ either. If your pork is not up to your standards, then an adjustment to technique, gear, etc., is usually the culprit. In other words, if you want the results, you gotta put in the work. Of course, there are exceptions. But, overall, you shouldn't need additives, IMHO...

Comment

I'm a big fan of letting the meat speak for itself, basic dry brine overnight and cook that sucker.
              Used to use all sorts of marinades etc but came to the conclusion that it was just masking the meat flavour.
              Less is more, just my opinion mate, good luck to you

Comment

I always go with 2 TBL of Butcher's BBQ Phosphate per cup of homemade broth. That's the same ratio as 1/4 cup phosphate to 2 cups of water that Butcher's BBQ recommends for injections.

Kathryn

Comment

I'm 1 T per 8# butt in about a cup of liquid. Butcher Pork Injection or BPS Pork Prod or Kosmos -- All just 1 T per cup.

Comment

A decent pork butt doesnt have moisture issues, though... so why bother? Like Stuey1515 I'm a fan of brining, seasoning and cooking those.

Comment

I’ve used Butcher’s and Kosmos Q but to be honest I’m in the leave it alone camp these days. Plenty of fat to render and keep things moist.

Comment

I use chicken stock, apple juice, ACV, salt, and sugar. Make about 2 cups of that injection and add in 4 tbs of BBQ phosphates (unflavored variety) this makes enough injection for 2 butts. I inject all my large cuts (except rib roast) when I smoke them.

Comment

• texastweeter
                          texastweeter commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The above is for pork BTW.

I've used the Butchers BBQ injection on brisket, but, have never felt the need to do so on a pork butt as they have so much natural juiciness. Best thing that I have found is dry brining with salt for 12-24 hours prior to cooking.

Good luck and welcome!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here