Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Three two one method,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three two one method,

3-2-1 method for cooking ribs just plain works. It is a great guide, and not a hard and fast rule and it works.
    The underlying method is smoke first, braise wrapped, and finish with sauce or glaze.
    I confess, I use these three steps as a guide for ribs and no longer boil in PBR first.

Last edited by bbqLuv; October 1, 2021, 07:14 AM.

So during that, is your PBR consumption also is 3-2-1?

Comment

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      Which conveniently adds up to 6! Spac Spabst?

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      About one per hour.

Works if you like a braised and sauced rib.

I am with Meathead on this one. Braised ribs tend to be mushy and fall apart. I like the texture of a fully smoked rib.

Here's a useful technique for tenderizing, moisturizing, and speeding cooking by wrapping meat in aluminum foil for an hour or two. The Texas crutch beats the stall, in which meat stops cooking during barbecuing, sometimes for hours. This simple trick works for brisket, pork shoulder and ribs on any smoker or grill.

​​​​​​​

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with Spinnaker . I did it once recently "for science." It wasn't bad, but I also won't be doing it again any time soon.

So, Harry Soo makes a whole video about making 3-2-1 work, and bagging on it, and then is impressed with the result.

I'm confused.

But seems like more work than just hanging em on the OJB and letting em go until they bend right.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Harry Soo is an artist to the grill,

I went through a wrapping phase and had some good results but have since abandoned the method for no wrap, spritzing, and saucing at the end. No guarantee, however, that I'm now set in my ways.

Comment

I used to do the three step method. But my ever present laziness took over and now I just toss them on and glaze with sauce at the end. They always seem to turn out great.

Comment

For the "-2-", I have tried no wrap, 30 minutes wrap, 1 hour wrap and the full 2 hour wrap.

With the 2 hour wrap I had shredded pork, not pork spareribs. 1 hour seemed popular with "the audience". The 30 minutes did seem better to me than no wrap.

My conclusion is 3(hr)-30 to 60 (minutes)-1 (hr).

Comment

I’ll usually go 4-1-1/2-1/4.

4 hour smoke
          1 hour wrapped in butcher paper
          1/2 hour rest wrapped while the Grilla OG gets to 400
          1/4 hour setting the sauce and or charring the surface up.

Comment

With baby back ribs, I wrap to keep moist. A little TLC cause they are lean.
            If St. Louis style, I let-em-rip, we like them smoky and no sauce. Lots of sweet and spicy rub. 👍

Comment

I’ve never done a 321, I generally do 5 hours, wrap with butcher paper for last hour or so, and no sauce,
              Last edited by Richard Chrz; October 1, 2021, 03:07 PM.

Comment

• gcdmd
                gcdmd commented
                Editing a comment
                What temperature?

• Richard Chrz
                Richard Chrz commented
                Editing a comment
                I’m generally in the 240 - 260 range.
                Last edited by Richard Chrz; October 1, 2021, 03:07 PM.

I only wrap my butts. I generally don’t wrap ribs. I remember the first time I made ribs from a recipe I pulled up on this website and I think I started them at like 8 o’clock thinking they would take all day on my gasser with some wood chips in a smoke box. Ah to be young again. I believe they were done by about noon and they were supposed to be our dinner. I have done the 3-2-1 method a couple of times and I didn’t notice much of a difference. Well, I’m also a little lazy. The ribs I did last week I did on my WSM, unwrapped the family pounded them.

Comment

Y'all are too fancy for me. I take the ribs out of the package. I put rub on them. I put them on the smoker. I take them off the smoker and I eat them.

Comment

3-2-1 and overdone for me.

Comment

With the "3" being done at 180°, and the "2" at just 225°, I can see where it would work and not end up mushy. Bottom line is, if you like how they turn out, then you're doing it the "right way".

Comment

• bbqLuv
                      bbqLuv commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Music to the Heart of BBQ
                      willxfmr "if you like how they turn out, then you're doing it the "right way".
                      Last edited by bbqLuv; October 2, 2021, 08:36 AM.

I do a heavy rub, no wrap, no sauce. Memphis style I guess?

Comment

• bbqLuv
                      bbqLuv commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I am looking into no wrap. Have not tried it yet, but plan to give it a try.
                      Have not quite settled on time and tamp until done, spritz, mop, or none.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here