Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I did a pulled pork using a picnic roast--poor results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did a pulled pork using a picnic roast--poor results

I did a pulled pork using a picnic roast--poor results.
    Notes:
    It dried out yet it never got to 203*F IT. It hit and stalled out at 193*F.
    8 pound roast
    Dry brined 12 hours
    mustard binder
    Memphis dust rub
    12 hours on my pellet stove at 225*F

The picnic has the leg bone vs the shoulder bone.
    Are the leaner? needed to be Texas Crutched all the time?

I am really curious about this too, as the picnic ham is the upper leg, and contains part of the shoulder meat. You would think it would be similar in fat content to the shoulder, and could be treated the same. If its a lot leaner though, it might need to be treated like any other pork, which means it is done at 145F and not 195 to 205. It is also possible that it was stalled and just didn't quite finish. I've had pulled pork (shoulder) do that, where it wasn't tender because it didn't quite finish. The trick would have been to wrap in foil to get it the rest of the way. Honestly, 12 hours at 225F is not long for a Boston butt, and if this was similar in thickness, I would think it might have needed to go longer.

Comment

• Chuppy
      Chuppy commented
      Editing a comment
      It stalled at 150*F and took off again at about 170*F.

I'm not sure I've ever done a picnic roast. I do know that sometimes the quality of the meat is to blame. I have done everything the same way on butts multiple times, yet occasionally the meat just doesn't meet the expectations.

I wouldn't think that crutching it the whole cook would have helped much,, but others may disagree. To me, that would have not created any bark. I hope this helped.

Comment

I do pork shoulders all the time as it is hard to find butts here and have always cooked them the same as butts, don't crutch and have never had a problem.

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm with pkadare no problem with shoulders.

• pkadare
        pkadare commented
        Editing a comment
        holehogg - https://www.seriouseats.com/what-is-...icnic-shoulder

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the link. I have always bought the shoulder thinking that's the butt. Sure I read somewhere here or on free side that the shoulder is the butt. Like you I've never had a problem turning shouldrr into pulled pork.

I just cooked two whole shoulders yesterday. They were about 8 pounds each. It took me 20 hours to hit 203 and I bumped the cooker up from 220 in the last 3 hours. It was a little dry. I assumed what I had was the whole butt plus some of the picnic.

Comment

I've done what my Butcher called an uncured ham a few times and sometimes they just didn't quite get to a doneness so they would shred or pull easily even when crutched. IMO there just isn't enough fat for pulling. The cut is more of a slicing piece of pork.

Comment

I've tried with the leg section more than once. Never worked for pulled pork in my attempts.

Comment

• holehogg
            holehogg commented
            Editing a comment
            jfmorris I cook them often in the oven for Sunday roast. Leave the skin on and score then add a fair amount of salt on the skin. During cook I ladle some of the rendered fat over the skin a couple times helps create a nice crackling. Cook to an IT between 150 - 160F for slicing. When I'm not lazy I debone the meat.
            It's a much cheaper cut than the shoulder and the reason I tried it as a shoulder substitute for pulled pork. Doesn't work.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            You've confirmed what I was thinking - this is good for sliced pork, at much lower done temperatures.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Meanwhile, ain't thing on in my world wrong with some good ol sliced pork!

I've never had a TRUE PICNIC roast come out worth a crap. It's typically much much leaner than the butt. I avoid them.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            This is kind of what I was thinking, having looked at them in the store. It is probably better cooked to lower temperatures for slicing. Maybe 170? Less?

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            good to know.
            Try pairing them with PBR

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            jfmorris I tried sous vide and sear and it was crap. Smoked like a butt it wasn't inedible, but compared to the butt obviously not in the same league.

I have done picnics using an American Test Kitchen Cuban-Style Grill-Roasted Picnic with good results. It makes great Cubano sandwiches.

Comment

• Chuppy
            Chuppy commented
            Editing a comment
            When do you pull them off the grill?

• LA Pork Butt
            LA Pork Butt commented
            Editing a comment
            Chuppy it is brined in an orange juice brine for 18-24 hours and cooked indirect at 325 to an internal temp of 190. It takes 3-4 hours. It isn’t pulled, but sliced.

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            LA Pork Butt - I cook these periodically. It's called perníl al horno, or just plain perníl. It is very popular in Puerto Rican and Dominican cooking as well.

As I recently posted in another thread, 20 years ago picnics and ribs were all I smoked. I couldn't get a butt anywhere. The picnics always came out great. I'm not sure what happened to the original poster's cook, but I suspect his probe was touching bone and throwing the readings off. Also, I rarely, if ever, take any shoulder to 203°F. I think it starts to get dry by that temp. I generally pull them at 198°and they are juicy, tender; and pull great.
          Last edited by Dewesq55; September 27, 2021, 02:58 PM.

Comment

• Chuppy
            Chuppy commented
            Editing a comment
            No the probe was good. There are 2 comments for a lower temperature. I should probably start checking with a fork at 180*F.

Butt is my longest cook, by far. Typically 14-16 hours at ~250°F. Less time than that and all the connective tissue doesn’t break down and you end up with hard-to-pull pork. I don’t wrap until the bark is the color I want (meteorite), and often times that color doesn’t come until it’s done, so the wrap is only for holding. Also, bone-in is the only way to go.
          Last edited by Santamarina; September 27, 2021, 10:57 PM.

Comment

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            I cut my butts in half (approximately) and they cook quite a bit faster. Huskee taught me that. Yesterday I cooked a 10.65 lb butt (9.25 trimmed) cut in half in a little over 9 hours. Pulled great. An added benefit is you get more bark due to 2 additional exposed sides.

I did not realize the picnic was leaner than the butt. I have done a few shoulder picnics, but I always Texas crutch them in foil about midways through. I have not really had a problem with moisture. The last picnic I did a couple of weeks ago started on the pellet smoker. When the bark set good, I wrapped it in foil and finished it in the oven.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            I too prefer to foil wrap butts & chucks. I am not in the hard bark camp, but the moist goodness camp!

• Chuppy
            Chuppy commented
            Editing a comment
            Everyone thanks for all the input! I have 2 more in the freezer to practice with.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here