Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked pork chops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked pork chops

We have bought commercially prepared smoked pork chops many times - 2 to a package. They are always fantastic - extremely tender and delicious. I have smoked pork chops a number of times, and while they come out pretty well, they are nowheres near as good as grocery store ones. My question is, does anyone know if they are truly cured or brined and then smoked, or do the processors use some kind of shortcut? (That really works well)

The fantastic ones from my local butcher, I’m fairly certain are cured and smoked with the hams. But I could be wrong, I’ve never really thought to ask. But from the taste and texture I think that’s what they do.

Comment

Were they bone-in, boneless, or the "Porter House" of pork chops? With which flavor of wood they were smoked?
      Could they have been cured in a brine with liquid smoke added?

Comment

Not sure if we comparing apple's with apples. We get cured and smoked pork chops (kassler).
        The food factory that makes them here in PE, first cures then into the industrial oven and liquid smoke is added via atomisation.
        They use this same process with various pork cuts including making belly rashers.
        They are good but just a tad salty for my palet. Haven't bought them much since learning the trade here.

Comment

We buy Cured and Smoked Pork Chops from our local Meat Market aka Butcher. He buys the Cured and Smoked Pork in chunks and cuts them himself. He will cut them as thick as we want. They are excellent!

Comment

I buy mine in whole.. brined/cured/smoked by the manufacturer.. (in store)
            Excellent on the grill..
            Click image for larger version

Name:	20210926_133542~2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	1101202 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210926_142256~2.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	1101203

Comment

• Skip
              Skip commented
              Editing a comment
              IMO they make an excellent meal for Company. I just warm them up on the Grill and serve with some sides that compliment the slightly salty Chops. Yum!

• Elton's BBQ
              Elton's BBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes indeed Skip

I agree, never been able to make such juicy, tender pork chops as the ones from the butcher. I’ve always assumed the store bought ones are cold smoked, which I’ve never attempted at home, but isn’t that
            the difference?

Comment

All good comments, thanks. The ones we get look just like the end view in Elton’s BBQ’s picture. I know the local grocery store where I get my pork bellies to make into bacon, who then slices it for me N/C, gets the whole smoked loins in as well for slicing into chops. I’ll have to try them as well.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here