Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good a Great Deal on Pork Butts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radiodome21
    replied
    I went to Jewel today and picked up 2 butts at 99 cents a pound. I normally shop at Marianos. Thanks for the heads up on this. I also decided to get a 12 pack of PBR bottles since I seem to see that come up in the occasional post.

Leave a comment:

• Dewesq55
    replied
    We're going back in a couple of weeks. I'll have to check when we do.

Leave a comment:

• clb239
    replied
    My local Food Lion $.99 sale ended last Wednesday. I picked up another one for the freezer before it ended.

They usually have a $1.59 sale one week skip a week then have the $.99 sale skip a couple weeks and then start the cycle all over again. So if you missed it this time give it a few weeks and the sale will likely happen again...

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    replied
    Ack! I'm going to run down and see if its still on!

Leave a comment:

• Dewesq55
    replied
    So, I couldn't fall asleep last night until 5:00 this morning. I wasn't about to start a 8-10 hour all wood cook (tending the cooker every half hour or so) on zero sleep. So I had to postpone my butt cook until tomorrow when the weather is expected to be good yet again.
    ​​​

Leave a comment:

• Dewesq55
    commented on 's reply
    All good suggestions, Mr. Bones ! My neighbor has been hinting strongly that she'd like me to give her some pulled pork for a long time now. I just haven't made it here at home in ages, only at the vacay house.

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Same here, at least oncet a month, ¢99/lb.

~8~ lbs. is my Sweet Spot, fer my personal needs, an wants...

Gorge like a Viking, take some to the neighbours, an to work, save some fer carnitas, tacos, chili, an such...

Boom!
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 25, 2021, 03:55 PM. Reason: +a :-o

• STEbbq
    replied
    Another member of the weighing meats club! Gotta know what everything weighs when we are done!

Leave a comment:

• LA Pork Butt
    replied
    That’s a good deal. I don’t know if it because we are in beef country, but it seems like every couple of weeks or so the Butts go on sale for $.97 a pound. Thy typically weigh 10#s although some times I can find one 8#s. I try to get the smallest one I can find, since I don’t often cook for a crowd.

Leave a comment:

• Dewesq55
    commented on 's reply
    Excellent!

• Sid P
    replied
    I got the same deal at our Jewel yesterday. My wife was disappointed that I put off our brisket cook to do a couple hour long, empty trial run on my new KBQ. She brought the mail in and a couple minutes later said "Would you do your trial on an 8lb pork butt?". How could I pass that up?

Leave a comment:

• Dewesq55
    started a topic Good a Great Deal on Pork Butts

Good a Great Deal on Pork Butts

I can't believe I didn't post this sooner, but I guess I got distracted. Last week we went down to the vacation house in Virginia from Thursday through Sunday (actually drove down late We'd night.) Went out to breakfast/ brunch and the place had the ad section of a local paper lying around to take. Was perusing the Food Lion ad while waiting for our meal and they had advertised Boston Butts for $1.99/lb. Ok, but not something to get really excited about. I keep reading, and they had an extra deal of you have the store loyalty card, which I do: $.99/lb! And no limit listed!! After eating we took a fruit on there way back to the house and went to Food Lion. It was a little past noon and they were sold out for the day. It was Friday and the sale was through Saturday. The stock guy in the meat section said they should have more the next day. Ok Saturday I got there around noon. I got the last one in the store - 10.65 lbs for $10.54! Here's some pics. I'm getting ready to smoke it tomorrow so I trimmed it and cut it into 2 pieces and dry bring it:

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210925_191800766-01.jpeg
Views:	215
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	1100317

I trimmed about a pound and a half of fat and silver skin off of it, leaving it at 9 lbs, 4 ozs.. I forgot to take a pic before cutting it in 2 so here it is with the 2 pieces put back together:

Name:	PXL_20210925_193714747-01.jpeg
Views:	175
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	1100318

This was my best cut job ever on a bone-in butt. The boneless chunk of 4 lbs, 9 ozs and the bone-in chunk of 4 lbs, 11 ozs

Name:	PXL_20210925_193924412-01.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	1100319

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here