Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fresh Pork Shoulder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fresh Pork Shoulder?

Help please. I bought what I thought were two fresh untrained bone-in butts. The shape of them made me question it but the butcher assured me that they were exactly what I wanted for pulled pork. I’ve bought butts numerous times in the past, but not from this butcher. Below are the pictures. I think I have the butt and some of the picnic maybe??

all I care about is will it be good for pulled pork and what’d I buy

Attached Files

Bottom pic- looks like the Butt portion is on the top and the Picnic is the bottom somewhat curved section. Ya got the whole shoulder, in beef it's called the Clod.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ll second that!

I agree with Jerod. Yes it will work for pulled pork. I have cooked several shoulders and they come out great. I'm using up some of the left over bones and meat from one right now to make some navy bean soup.
    Plus I'll be cooking another on Thursday for my Daughter and her partner.
    Last edited by ofelles; September 25, 2021, 01:09 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Navy Bean Soup, Brother!!! :Staple of my upbringin, alongside some cornbread, an greens (when in season)

Thanks. I assume it’ll all smoke up just four for pulled pork. Making dinner for my Dads birthday tomorrow.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      The lower more "white meat" Picnic section will be leaner.

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      Best wishes to your Dad.

Thank you!! Glad I’m home to cook for him.

Comment

One more question. One of the cryovac shoulders had a sell by date of 9/19. I opened it and it smelled fine. I called the butcher and they said it should be ok. I’m assuming I’m still good but figured I’d ask you all.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        You good.

That's what they call a "whole Boston butt." It will be great for pulled pork! When I first started smoking, I couldn't get butts near me so I only smoked picnics for quite a few years. They always came out great. The only downside is they have a lot more bone in them so you don't get the same yield as you do with a proper butt. Also, the picnic generally has the rind on it which also detracts from your yield per purchased pound. My local ShopRite still only carries picnics which they do several ways: besides the regular picnic roast, they sell them sliced (about ½" thick) cubed and, recently, boned and rolled. But I can now get butts at BJ's or Giant and sometimes Walmart.

Comment

Thanks! I’ve always bought the cryovac butts from BJs or Sams. They are shaped sort of like a giant cube and look like a meteor when done. This had some rind on it and that was a bit of a PITA. They both went on last night at 10:30 pm with a big hunk of applewood. They are in the stall now.

I appreciate the explanation.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Meteor Is Our Friend.

What a good son.

Comment

20 hour cook complete. The meat pulled easily. I had to run the smoker up from 220 to 260 during the last few hours to make dinner time.

https://share.fireboard.io/EF17B2
          Attached Files

Comment

Oh, my dogs would be in heaven with those bones. Yummehhhh!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here