Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That Gorgeous Pork Sandwich on the Opening Page of the Free Side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That Gorgeous Pork Sandwich on the Opening Page of the Free Side

I have been salivating heavily since that beautiful pork sandwich picture was posted on the free side! Now I have cooked many a pork butt, but never one that looks this pretty! I have cooked butts into the low 190's F for slicing and into the low 200's for pulling. Mine always have turned much darker (I assume due to temps or perhaps rubs ??). I see that this butt was cooked for chopping. To my recollection I have never chopped a butt but think I want to give it a try next time.

Could someone in the know please tell me how to achieve this sandwich's looks as well as cooking Technique, cooking to what internal temp, temp used to cook the butt, etc.

Thanks folks, I am all ears and getting more and more hungry with anticipation.

Tom

That sandwich does look really good. I wonder if the lightness of the pork is a function of the lighting in the shot. But, it does look chopped/sliced.

I did some tacos al pastor with pork butt and took it off between 175 and 180 and that is roughly the effect I got.

Comment

I agree it has the effect of causing the mouth juices to flow.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        yessir, it do.

I'm not going to look. I'm not going to look. I'm not going to look. I'm not going to look. I'm not going to look.

Comment

• Stuey1515
        Stuey1515 commented
        Editing a comment
        I looked 😞

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Pants On Fire!!!

I roll my smoker(s) long bout 275°~300° F...

My best guess is that the pork pictured was cooked much lower, an slower, therefore: much less dark / bark than th meteorites that are my deliberately desired end results.

Comment

Looks a lot like the sandwich pictured here, pork looks the same as does the bun.
        Love Me Tender Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork Recipe (amazingribs.com)

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
          Alabama Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the link pkadare . I will review both recipes he mentions.

• Alabama Smoke
          Alabama Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          Does indeed look like the other pic. I will study this one for sure. But I do not plan to cook the butt in a crockpot. The wood smoke flavor is why I smoke them to start with and I cannot stand the taste of liquid smoke.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here