Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Shoulder Porchetta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rickgregory
    replied
    Originally posted by Strat50 View Post
    Try the Two Guys and a Cooler channel on You Tube. They make a porchetta using the capacola muscle from a pork shoulder, wrapped in a layer of skin-on pork belly. It is then tied and cooked. Using your rig, this would be fantastic. Try 'em, great channel...
    Interesting. Article here, video at the bottom of the article https://twoguysandacooler.com/porchetta/

I'd be tempted to butterfly the coppa and lay it out inside the belly.

Leave a comment:

• Strat50
    replied
    Try the Two Guys and a Cooler channel on You Tube. They make a porchetta using the capacola muscle from a pork shoulder, wrapped in a layer of skin-on pork belly. It is then tied and cooked. Using your rig, this would be fantastic. Try 'em, great channel...

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    replied
    Whichever way you go please take us along for the ride. Enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    No skin, it’s not a porchetta. It’s simply a rolled pork roast. Put it on a rotisserie and give it a spin!!

• Pobeque
    commented on 's reply
    Agree, having the skin would be ideal, I'm just trying to think of something different to do with the shoulder.......

• shify
    commented on 's reply
    If Pobeque has a Costco boneless shoulder, there is no skin, which I agree is half the point of a porchetta.

Considering how relatively foolproof pork shoulder is in the oven, I'd just roll/tie it up and roast it in a low oven to 190ish. If you happen to have one with a fat cap. you can score it and hope you get some crispy bit in the oven. I don't see the upside for SV.

• Troutman
    replied
    Porchettas are all about the crunchy skin. I suppose SV would be fine for the initial cook but you still have to deal with the skin. Many different techniques like pouring hot oil to crisp it up can be employed. Here’s one I did conventionally;

A Porchetta (pronounced por-ketta) is yet another example of the national cuisine of Italy. Like the Filipino Lechon, it is a whole pig roasted over coals until the meat is done and

Also see if you can source fennel pollen, makes it most authentic!! Good luck 👍

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    That's why I'd go oven - no tending, but also no need to go SV for 2 days etc. I don't think SV will be BAD... you can crisp it in a 500F oven at the end - but I can't see it adding anything either. In the oven you can cook it relatively low but without a) the long SV time or b) tending a smoker. Same thing for charcoal, really - get it to 300F or so, let it go for a few hours, done. If it's still hot where you are, I'd lean to outside, otherwise oven.

• Pobeque
    commented on 's reply
    Rotisserie is a great idea! too bad I do not have one...

• Pobeque
    commented on 's reply
    The only reason I asked about sous vide was for convenience sake. I can set it and forget it and sear/crisp at the end of cooking limiting my time spent cooking/tending cookers. Maybe don't think of it as a porchetta, maybe a porchetta spiced, rolled pork shoulder. Plus I'm not against cooking it all over plain charcoal with no smoke.

• STEbbq
    commented on 's reply
    Well, that is the link to the sous vide version.

• rickgregory
    replied
    I just can't think of any reason to SV this aside from curiosity. Doing this in the oven would be my first choice simply because smoke isn't a traditional component of porchetta. Second would be doing it on the smoker but aiming for lighter smoke so you don't just end up with a pulled pork butt that's sliceable. But hitting a precise temp for 2 days doesnt really bring you anything and you still need to crisp the outside.

Leave a comment:

• Pobeque
    commented on 's reply
    Yea the typical way is the complete lion/belly boned out and rolled. I figure a long enough cook to break down the muscle, but not long enough to make it mushy/unsliceable

• Pobeque
    commented on 's reply
    I've done Kenji's all belly porchetta before, but in the oven not sous vide....just want to try something different with the shoulder. Agree on cooking the aromatics first tho

• Jfrosty27
    replied
    I would use the rotisserie myself. But that’s just me. Good luck and pics or it didn’t happen!

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here