Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Shoulder Porchetta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radiodome21
    replied
    Interesting. I worked at an Italian restaurant back in the day and they did offer a stuffed porchetta. It wasn’t too bad but it was more from a pork loin that they flattened and then rolled. Curious how it would work coming from the shoulder.

Leave a comment:

• STEbbq
    replied
    Well, the first thing is that I would avoid using raw garlic and other aromatics in the sous vide because they won’t cook the same. Note in the recipe below, he cooks his garlic before using it.

https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/...c-in-sous-vide

Here is one good take on the porchetta.

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/re...elly-porchetta

I did two pork butts for 72 at 135 for pullable, so if you want to start, I’d aim for about 36- 48 hours at 155-160 for sliceable. I would not take it above that if you want to keep it sliceable. I’ve found that Kenji’s cook times are more a minimum than a stopping point, and typically go longer.
    Last edited by STEbbq; September 24, 2021, 09:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    replied
    SV is a nice tool. And not the way to do porchetta. Porchetta needs the dry heat to cook the outside correctly and not sear. I'm not sure I'd smoke it either, honestly, not if you want a traditional porchetta. Me, I'd take it to about 180-90 in the oven. If you do smoke it, I'd go very light on smoke. After all you're not after a pulled pork that is simply sliceable, you want porchetta.

Leave a comment:

• Pobeque
    started a topic Pork Shoulder Porchetta

Pork Shoulder Porchetta

Ok so I have a boneless pork shoulder hanging in the freezer from Costco and I was thinking of doing something a little different than a traditional pulled pork. What I want to do is butterfly the shoulder and make a Porchetta. I would rub the inside with porchetta spice(garlic, citrus zest, fennel, rosemary, etc), then roll and tie. I'm not sure if I want to sous vide or do it all on the cooker. Now here are the questions I have for the esteemed pit masters on this site
    1. Sous Vide. What time and temp for the bath? Bear in mind I want to keep this sliceable, not pulled/shredded
    2. Overall finishing temp to keep a sliceable texture? 180-190?

Thanks for the help and reccs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here