Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slicing bacon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HorseDoctor
    commented on 's reply
    I too cut the bellies in half to process, and then cut the halves in half to slice. Easier to package, can fit more in fry pan, slices fit toast perfectly for BLTs and MUCH MUCH less risk to my digits while cutting in my slicer!

• rwhnze
    replied
    Excellent. Thank you Dan & Doc.

Leave a comment:

• Danjohnston949
    commented on 's reply
    Doc, your explanation is much clearer than mine! Thanks Dan

• Doc Hazard
    replied
    Your approach is valid. Slice it the same way you sliced the belly, across the short dimension. I cut mine into 4 slabs to brine and smoke. To slice it in my machine, I have to slice each slab in half so it is not so long. I find the shorter bacon slices are easier to handle and package, too.

Leave a comment:

• Danjohnston949
    replied
    Welcome to the Pit!@rwhnze, Typically you would want to slice your Bacon crosswise to the rectangle that the it came from the hog carcus as a Pork Belly. That is 90* to the long side. Hope this helps, Dan
    Last edited by Danjohnston949; September 14, 2015, 01:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rwhnze
    started a topic Slicing bacon?

Slicing bacon?

A pork belly is approximately 12-13lbs & rectangular when purchased from the butcher. I always cut it in thirds and smoke 1/3 at a time. When I 1/3rd it it ends up pretty much 3 square pieces. When slicing after its smoked does it matter how you slice it? I usually just look at the sides and pick the one that looks the most like store bought bacon and begin there. Should I be keeping track of what side is head, rear & sides of the hog?
    Last edited by rwhnze; September 14, 2015, 12:49 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here