Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

321 or not 321, it is all BBQ to me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

321 or not 321, it is all BBQ to me

321 ribs works ok for me. How about you for back yard bbq?
    This is the technique I used after I left boil first behind.
    The underlining message I see is to know how to cook.
    It is hope you will enjoy Harry Soo as he uses the 321 method on ribs.

3-2-1 321 Ribs THE BIG LIE? | BBQ Champion Harry Soo SlapYoDaddyBBQ.com - YouTube

I personally prefer no-wrap, no sauce (other than a very light glaze) ribs. I really think it depends on your cooker.

I liked 3-2-1 method on my gasser with supplemented smoke via chips or pellets, because no wrap had a tendency to dry out. But also because back then I really didn't know any better.

Comment

I always enjoy Harry Soo, immensely.

In answer to yer question, I don't wrap, don't sauce, don't spritz, neither.

I jus cook em 'til they's done, then eat em...

In Full Agreement with "Knowin how to cook"; I can see where that might be helpful

Comment

I just trim, rub, and toss them on my pellet smoker at 250 until done. Lightly sauce at the end. That’s it. Seems to work well for me. The ribs are all gone with nobody complaining.

Comment

Rub, hang in the PBC until done, 3 to 4 hours. We don't sauce nor wrap.

PBC, PBJ, PBX!

Comment

Did a rack of sante looies yesterday. Brined for 3 hours with MH's commercial pork rub (MMD w/salt and it's pretty good), smoked them on the stick burner running 230ish for about 5 hours, no wrap/sprtiz or what not, and pulled them when they were bendy. I was in the mood for an Asian flavor so I made a quick Asian-style sauce to glaze them with, but I cut off a couple of ribs to taste before glazing and they were fantastic. Man, that stick burner does a number on meat!!

I'll still do the 321/221 when I want the rendered juices for rice or a sauce, or if I just feel like having a softer bite on the ribs. I guess it's whatever floats yer boat.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Great Flavour offa stickburner???
              I'll haveta look into that, there...

Entertaining video. I like how he says "321 don’t do it" and then proceeds to show how he does 321 ribs.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
              ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
              Editing a comment
              To be fair he said don't do it, but if you have to here's some tweaks to the typical 321 process

I agree.... I've ALWAYS thought 3-2-1 was crazy. Every time I've tried anything remotely like 3-2-1 for ribs, they're practically ruined. Falling apart after 2h in the foil so I couldn't get them out in a single piece, no way to put a 'rack' back on the smoker.

Starting much lower sounds more like it, but I personally don't see any need to mess with it. I usually do unwrapped all the way, or I might wrap for an hour, but as soon as I do, they usually end up too soft.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Word

I just did some on the SnS & used my usual 1 method, 1-2 method of ya count eatin em. Don’t wrap & sauce on the side, mebbee.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              I'll abide with sauce on th side...

I do this.

Options is our Friend, Yes???

Tend to cook without wrapping or saucing (though exceptions have and will continue to be made), however, I probably spritz more often than not.

Concur that knowing how to cook is key.

Comment

I’ve tried several times to wrap ribs, I over cook them every time I try. If you want fall off the bone ribs it’s the way to go. I rub them then put them on the kamado for 4 hours at 250F. I’ll check them then and cook longer if needed or glaze them with a mixture of apple jelly, apple juice and maybe a table spoon of BBQ sauce. Malcolm Reed is where I got the glaze idea. With the low airflow in the kamado there’s no need to wrap or spritze.

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, wapped Wibs is fer wooses!
                I don’t wewe mean that, but it was an oppohtunity to say it.

Here is another method……..outside the box from Mad Scientist BBQ.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here